G-CORD Rebuild

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
jockthenipper

Re: G-CORD Rebuild

Postby jockthenipper » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Good progress this week ! Repair work on the elevators continues, but wing received more coats of clear dope, much rubbing and the first of the silver butyrate! Got to decide on a colour very soon?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (893.97 KiB) Viewed 12522 times

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:02 pm

......don't forget the aileron linkage from belcrank to aileron!!

Looks lovely.

Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Good spot Neil !! On the subject of the Leading Edge stall strakes, am I correct in assuming that if you have an alternative stall warning device, i.e. "buzzer" then the strakes are not required? Or are there other aerodynamic reasons that require them rather than as a buffet generator/warning device? Answers on a postcard please!!

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:23 am

I only have the leading edge strakes on mine, I don't think I would enjoy listening to the stall warning going off all the time while I am aerobating it!!! (which is what I am doing most of the time in the NIpper) The stall strips are sufficient, don't need battery power, weigh next to nothing and are reliable. They don't give much buffet, I get more info' from the feel of the controls.

I am sure I have mentioned this before, but keep it light!!

When I restored my nipper I made new aileron rod fairings from one of the two (odd) ones already fitted using glass cloth and resin. Placement of the fairings is critical, you will need to fit the aileron and ensure no fouling throughout the aileron range.

The material I used for aileron/elevator/rudder (rudder fin mod') was from Kayospruce, its a vinyl covered cloth used for boats, with a 3m double sided tape. It is very effective, stable and hard wearing.

Neil

G-ONCS (23).JPG
G-ONCS (23).JPG (681.22 KiB) Viewed 12488 times
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:14 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 12456 times
Hello Neil,

The reason I asked about the stall warner v strakes is that my wing came with an electric one one already fitted! But your point is taken about effectiveness of the strakes and the weight saving. I am assuming you are referring to the aileron/ elevator and rudder gap seals when you mention the Kayospruce material?

Again I was fortunate enough to inherit aileron rod fairings with the aircraft although, like you, one was damaged but is repairable with a little glass! When I striped the wing I took some critical measurements that will serve as a starting point for the placement of the the rod fairings.

Hope to get up to Dunkeswell on Wednesday to continue the rebuild. I have a couple of potential buyers sniffing around my VP1, if I could sell that things would really take-off!!!

All the best, Peter

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi Peter,

Mine also had both the strakes and the electric warner, but I removed the electric one. BTW, I have a brand new unused Pifco bicycle horn that was used as the original fitting as part of the unbuilt Nipper kit I have........make me an offer I can't refuse!!

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi All

I believe that because the wing has no wash out the stall stakes are there to make sure the centre section stalls first.....no nasty wing drop Shocked

Stuart

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:38 pm

.......sorry to contradict.....they disturb the airflow approaching the stall to create aerodymamic buffet at the tailplane to warn of the forthcoming loss of lift, buffet warning rather than audible.......not that they create much!!

....and sorry, I didn't reply to the kayospruce Q, yes, its for the gap seals, fitted with a 3m double sided tape.

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Sorry Neil.........but

A stall strip alters the wing’s stall characteristics and ensures that the wing root stalls before the wing tips. This is usually as a result of initial aircraft flight testing which shows that the existing stall characteristics are unacceptable for certification. But they do also cause a little buffet Shocked

From: Crane, Dale: Dictionary of Aeronautical Terms, third edition, page 487. Aviation Supplies & Academics, 1997. ISBN 1-56027-287-2

Regards

Stuart

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:53 am

Sir I throw myself at your feet again!!.......I was thinking about this after I awoke this morning, and the fact the airflow is disturbed would suggest the wing has stalled locally. On the Nipper is would beg the Q, "why don't they all have them?", in fact do they all have them?

I am also inclined to think that some a/c have them to improve the stall entry so the root does stall first, and I think that others use them purely as a stall warning.......a good discussion topic. Here is an EAA article that supports the latter theory:

http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilder ... vices.html

Regards,

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:45 am

Hey Peter, how is the restoration going?
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”