Homebuilt Nippers???

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
MDF

Homebuilt Nippers???

Postby MDF » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum and have a few questions about the Nipper that hopefully you may be able to help me with?

Firstly, I've found various references to homebuilt Nippers but also a number of references saying that the PFA/LAA will not allow homebuilt Nippers, so which is it? Are Plans available?

Secondly, there was a rumour several months ago that the owners of the Nipper design were thinking of building a batch of parts. Does anyone know if this is still planned?

Finally, is it possible to import a project that has never flown and complete it under the LAA rules?

Many thanks for any information

Spot

Re: Homebuilt Nippers???

Postby Spot » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:51 pm

I tried to get permission to build from scratch, as plans and I believe the jig built fuselage can be bought, but was refused by the PFA(LAA).

I don't know about importing one.

MDF

Postby MDF » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:35 pm

Did the LAA give any reasons?? G-INFO lists 9 current Nippers with PFA build numbers??

Spot

Postby Spot » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:01 am

The only thing they (PFA) said was that "it now has to be a refurbishment/restoration job of an existing aircraft".

I will try to find the email/letter/note I received about it, I know I will have kept it somewhere?!

MDF

Postby MDF » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:00 pm

David, thanks for the info, guess I'll haveto talk to LAA engineering to find out their reasoning.

MDF

Postby MDF » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:26 pm

IT's confirmed by LAA engineering that the Nipper CAN be homebuilt still !!!!! Hopefully some New Nippers will be in the offing soon!!

Spot

Postby Spot » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:18 pm

MDF wrote:IT's confirmed by LAA engineering that the Nipper CAN be homebuilt still !!!!! Hopefully some New Nippers will be in the offing soon!!

WTF! Funny how things change!!

Do you have that in writing?

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:09 pm

Mike Whiskey was built from plans, (although I did buy the fuselage frame from Nipper Kits). All I did was register the project (1984) with the PFA, obtained my constructors log book and serial number,found an inspector and hey presto in 1987 she took to the air Very Happy . Never had a problem although and must admit it never occured to me that there was one!! Confused

Cheers

Stuart

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”