Any 'Nippering' going on?

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
G-NIPR
Site Admin

Any 'Nippering' going on?

Postby G-NIPR » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:34 am

Is that it until the Spring for most of you, or will you continue to fly during the winter months?
I renewed my permit a few weeks ago, and have flown once since. Trying to sync time off with good weather and easy hangar access has been a tricky business! She flew well though and it was a pleasure to be up again.
I vacated my hangar spot at work yesterday in preparation for my job change in a few weeks. I am grateful to Highland Airways for allowing me to hangar her for nowt, now I will need to get used to paying for the pleasure!
But the advantage is the new hangar has easy access in and out and I dont need to move 7 tonne Jetstreams to get at NIPR. That alone is worth paying for.
Lets here about your winter activities, flying or maintaining....

Seasons greetings one and all.

Paul.
GNIPR.

Ps: The local landscape is looking VERY wintery up here again, so will try to get some more nice air to airs if I can.

Neil Spooner

Re: Any 'Nippering' going on?

Postby Neil Spooner » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi Paul,

Yep, plenty with G-ONCS, very pleased with the plane and having lots of fun......youtube!

Here's a "gauntlet" to the Nipper forum, how do you fancy a gathering at Old Warden (sorry Paul, its a long way for you again!) for a gathering. I will (if there is some interest) contact O/W to arrange a gathering, either at a fly-in or display day and see what consessions we can get. For anyone who has never visited the Old Warden museum; it has to be the best old timer collection of a/c in the world, definately the uk at any rate. From the Box kite to the latest Spitfire, all in flying condition. The museum is open most of the year, but how about a fly-in of Nippers in early 2009?

Over to you!

All the best,

Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

richard

Postby richard » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:09 pm

Hi Paul,
Lots going on with G-AVTC getting it generally sorted. I am thinking of putting an AeroVee in and perhaps doing the seat mod. I also need some decent brakes.
cheers Richard

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:41 am

Hi Richard,

A possible issue with the aerovee engine is that the crankshaft flange is about 1.5/2.0 inches further forward.

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

richard

Postby richard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:10 pm

Dear Neil,
Thanks for that I have also found a few other things that make it a more complicated swap. Do you think the prop being that little bit forward will make much difference? The weight is 3ibs more than the Rolinson engine I have.
thanks Richard

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:03 am

Hi Richard,

I cant think of anything right now (23:55!) but would ask why you don't want to stick with the VW? If you don't need the extra power go for a VW 1834cc engine with the alloy cylinders that Great Plains A/C can supply. You will end up with an engine 10lbs lighter. I personally would also fit the Leburg ign' system which will solve any hot-start issues, and you get an alternator as well! For a discussion on this topic have a look at:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=129&p=562&hilit=leburg#p562

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

richard

Postby richard » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi Neil,
I will probably do what you suggest, however quite like the idea of re start if possible thats why I was looking at the AeroVee.
Have a great Christmas
Cheers Richard

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:05 am

Hi Richard,

The starter issue is a thorny one, only the Jabiru engine will give you the power/weight/size you need in the Nipper. I am still working on a decompressor that would permit an airstart (if you fit Leburg ignition hand starting hot/cold is not an issue=very easy) , however family issues have got in the way (and having to work for a living!) of doing anything with it recently. My next priority after Xmas and finishing the 50hr check on G-ONCS is to build my 2180cc engine.

Have fun, a happy Xmas and prosperous/healthy/wealthy New Year,

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

richard

Postby richard » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:26 am

Not much Nippering going on but plenty of air air time over the Highlands this week in the New Quikr, goes like stink. Good time of year to check out the heated clothing! If anyone wants to have a fly in a flexwing let me know. I am starting work on G-AVTC, Need to get it sorted for the summer.
Richard

JAB

Postby JAB » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:41 pm

Happy Landings to you all for 2009.

After watching Neil's excellent display on Y Tube over christmas. I could not wait to shake the dust off XD.
This occurred on tuesday and resulted in 1 hrs total enjoyment trying to duplicate Neil's flight. I managed most of it except for the 3rd roll where i lost the nose and a stall turn that didn't. Great fun anyway.
I am all for a visit to O.W. and will be happy to look after Paul's 6 oclock on the way down.

looking fwds to a great Nippering year

Rgds John

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Postby G-NIPR » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:16 am

Hello again all,
In the middle of a type rating (not type writing!) course for my new job, so spending a lot of weeks away from home.
However managed to fly NIPR on Saturday, and had the pleasure of dropping into Easter, a newly laid grass strip just north of Inverness.
Aircraft started third swing, not bad after a three and half week lay up, and flew well.
It will be great to have the time to get some more flying in this year as my new job should be a little less taxing than the last one.
Hope to get out and about for some more fly-ins come the summer.

Keep posting,

Paul.
G-NIPR.

Ps: Pat, I am hoping to be able to come and see you in the coming couple of weeks for a catch up and to collect the tyre.
I am at Farnborough for a fortnight. Will give you a bell soon.

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”