VW Engine choice.. Help!

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
richard

VW Engine choice.. Help!

Postby richard » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:39 am

I am putting together a Nipper with as yet no reg. I have decided on the VW engine. The great plains or Aero Vee look like the two contenders (I also have a Leburg ign). The Aero Vee has the advantage of a re start! but I would need to get the thing approved by the LAA etc. If I go for the Great Plains engine what extras or mods would you chaps think worthwhile? I quite like the look of the older cowls with the cylinders sticking out. I also have to think of props as the Chris Lodge is no longer available.
Many thanks Richard

OO-WBR

Re: VW Engine choice.. Help!

Postby OO-WBR » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:19 pm

I don't really know about the engine, but for the prop you could try and contact Poncelet Propellers.

A lot of Nippers with Jabirus use Poncelets..

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:20 pm

Here's one I did earlier Richard - Standard 1600cc VW using ancilliaries srcounged from the crashed G-AXLH (see my photo on Willem's site), Open cowled. I also re-used the Stamo mount and a bendix D-2000 dual mag. to replace original Ducellier which was beyond economical repair. I am intending to use a similar installation on G-ARBG but with the Leburg ignition system in place of mag.

David G-ARBG
Attachments
Ardem SXI.JPG
Ardem SXI.JPG (202.94 KiB) Viewed 14401 times

richard

Postby richard » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:51 pm

Thanks David,
One question.... I would like to use the older MK2 cowls as I think they look good is that what you are using on your open cowled engine in the photograph?
Thanks Richard

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:17 am

Yes Richard, I will use MKII pattern cowlings,

Attach a shot showing the lower cowl as made and fitted SXI (1984). Unfortunately I disposed of the moulds after but Antoine has recently loaned me a part mould (lower cowl) which I will be checking out soon.

David
Attachments
sxi-c.jpg
sxi-c.jpg (398.85 KiB) Viewed 14253 times

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:27 am

Richard,

herewith pic of SXI when completed. 1600cc conversion with open cowls. Worked very well and completely trouble free. Unfortunately it appears that many of the original parts used in the conversion have been lost by subsequent owners (unless anyone knows differently in which case I would offer to buy them all back!) I do still have the mould for the spinner.

David G-ARBG
Attachments
Tipsy Nipper G-ASXI.jpg
Tipsy Nipper G-ASXI.jpg (106.66 KiB) Viewed 14566 times

richard

Postby richard » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:59 pm

Thanks David,
I will give you a call sometime re the cowls. I think I have the right ones but they need a good clean up. Nipper No 36 is currently getting its wings and fuselarge sorted and I will be applyng for a reg etc this week.
Richard

jantar

Postby jantar » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks for that engine photo David. My engine has similar carb and hot air box, but is there any way of filtering the air ? mine will have to operate in very dusty ground conditions Regards Tom H

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi Tom,
I have used a rotax 912 airfilter on my "homemade" airbox, still to prove if it will work Laughing
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG (52.42 KiB) Viewed 13858 times

IMG_3051.JPG
IMG_3051.JPG (56.57 KiB) Viewed 13854 times

IMG_3052.JPG
IMG_3052.JPG (52.89 KiB) Viewed 13841 times

Hope this inspires an idea or two !
Regards
Glen

jantar

Postby jantar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Thanks Glen not same carb/hotair box but inspiring nevertheless! Where is that Distributor then? Tom H

Shocked

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”