Tips?

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
DesH

Tips?

Postby DesH » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:01 pm

Well, its been a long wait but FE should be ready for collection next week after having a fresh permit, refurb of tip tanks and engine service.

Just wondering if anyone has any useful tips for long journeys in a Nipper since I'll be flying her back from Yeovilton to Perth? I will be planning 2 routes (1 bad weather avoiding high ground and 1 good weather as direct as possible) and the luxury of tip tanks should allow me do the trip with only one stop around Carlise or Teeside area's. (both of which I know pretty well)

For nav, FE has a panel mounted colour GPS and I will also be taking a second unit strapped to my leg as a backup and of course I have all the latest UK charts.

Just really looking for any perculiarities the Nipper presents on a long trips or on arrival at busy airfields etc?

Regards

Des

Neil Spooner

Re: Tips?

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Des,

Really exciting trip for a few reasons, good luck hope it goes well. Just a few thoughts:

How many hours has it done since the o'haul?.......if not many it would be a good idea to "shake it down" locally for a hour or so to make sure all is well before you set off on a long trip, once you have done that decowl and have a very close look and use a torch.
Fuel management; I don't know how the tip tanks are plumbed and switched, running the engine dry is not good, but you do have a starter!!
Fold the maps so you don't have to in the plane!
Take a bottle of water & sunglasses.
Visibility of other traffic is a pain in the Nipper due to the high dihedral, I make plenty of rolling maneuvers in the circuit to check for traffic.

I am sure you have all that in hand.......please let us know how it goes.

Paul is the long distance Nipper driver! Over to you Paul!

Have fun!

Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

DesH

Postby DesH » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi Neil, thanks for the points.

The current owner is planning on doing some test flying this weekend to ensure everything is as it should be and I will also go off and do a quick trip in the local area to get a feel for it before setting off, will indeed have a good look under the cowls to make sure all is as it should be before setting off.

I'm told the procedure for emptying the tips is to run them until the very first signs of 'spluttering' and then merely switch over to the main, not something I'd be keen to do without a starter which fortunately she has, will also get good and high around that time just in case.

Good tip on circuit vis thanks, will keep checking the blind spots, map folding I'm already well practiced at having flown VFR up and down the UK quite a few times.

One concern i had for parking up for an hour or so was how prone are Nippers to tipping over?, obviously it'll be parked into wind but I'm just worried about coming back and finding a random gust has tipped her up onto a wingtip.... is this a real concern or are they not that bad?

Cheers Des

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Postby G-NIPR » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:34 pm

Hello Des,
Ive had a think and the following is based on my experience of 2 full length UK trips, and several couple of hundred milers.

1. Be prepared for many 'say agains' when stating a/c type to ATC. Try to minimise it by saying 'TIPSY NIPPER' slowly and clearly! Most modern ATC'ers havent heard of it. If they still dont get it, the ICAO code is NIPR, just spell that phonetically and they will find it in a book! (NIPR- good registration that!)

2. Know the max take off weight in case you are asked when paying landing fees. 330 kg will do.

3. Find a way to stow maps that is easy to reach in flight. I use the slight gap between fabric skin and fuselage metal frame to wedge it. If you dont wedge it in like that something interesting can happen...
The map will find its way under the seat, and if you are unlucky like me taking off from Manston, will jam solid in the undercarriage rubbers as soon as the weight comes off the wheels! Then it is stuck until you next land. It has happened just like that to me.

4. Know how to use your GPS. Sounds obvious but it is not the time to learn when trying to fly a new type.

5. Develop a mental 'egg timer' for carb heat. I tend to over do it. Probably every ten mins or so. Sometimes I almost dont know I am doing it.

6. ALWAYS resist the temptation to do a quick loop or roll just because you can. Again sounds silly but it is VERY tempting to just pop a quick roll in when you are at a low workload area. You may well be overweight for aeros, and almost definately will have more loose articles when going cross country. (yes I have done it)

7.Think engine out at all times, but not to the point of paranoia. You are flying to enjoy it too.
But do look for surviveable terrain when planning a route. I generally follow valleys rather than overfly rocky mountains. Following the A9 road for example rather than overfly the Cairngorms.

8. Remember crosswind limit of 16kts. It will handle that (and significantly more) with practice.

9. Tipping on the ground is not really a problem in flyable wind conditions, if it was that windy I would pop it into a hangar.

10. Fly safe and enjoy it. The memories of long trips stay with you for a while.

Paul.
G-NIPR.

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:26 am

Hi Des,

Some really good tips from Paul.

I haven't seen a Nipper with tip tanks close up, but would assume there are tie downs located somewhere close to the tip. If you are on a busy GA ramp it is worthwhile considering the potential prop' wash off of other a/c lifting a wing of the Nipper, as you are aware the dihedral will tend to catch any wind from the side, although I have never heard of a Nipper being tipped over (not-so-tipsy-nipper!!)

One thing to get into the habit of very early, is once the a/c is parked is to lift the tail of the plane to unload the u/c rubbers, it will extend the life of them dramatically. Pick the tail end up by the skid, not the rudder until the weight comes off of the u/c and then let it down again, the geometry of the u/c will leave the tail higher.

I am suprised the Nipper hasn't had more forced landings due to fuel miss-managment with the tip or internal wing tanks fitted when the engine was a non electric starter VW......I have never been a lover of running any tank dry. My Aux' fuel tank is mounted under the main tank, I have a transfer pump that sends the fuel into the main tank, so no fuel tank switching is necessary. If there is not enough room in the main tank to accept the fuel it is simply returned to the aux' tank until there is room or I see the main tank is full and switch off the transfer pump. The only fatal accident that I am aware of was due to a forced landing due to fuel tank miss-management, in a Nipper with a poorly installed fuel valve out of reach of the pilot with the shoulder straps tight, and lack of knowledge of the fuel system. The a/c inverted on landing causing fatal head injuries to the pilot. I hope I am not causing concern, but making you aware of the pitfalls of fuel system management.

Good luck with the trip, and as Paul says.....Have Fun.

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

DesH

Postby DesH » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks for all the tips chaps, very much appreciated and some very usefull stuff there.

I've just planned a route out of Yeovilton basically heading NNE, a quick dodge around / under the edge of the Bristol CTA and then onwards North to the Manchester low level corridor avoiding a variety of MATZ etc on the way. I'm aiming for a first stop at Carlisle but using 80kts and 16 litres per hr thats going to be approx 3hrs flighttime so I've planned a divert into Wolverhampton Halfpenny for fuel if I've got a headwind. Blackpool would have been a better divert but I notice they require 5mil 3rd party insurance which I wont have! There is also the possibility of Barrow if its looking tight once I'm further North. The leg from Carlisle to Perth is pretty simple and should only take circa 1hr 30 mins.

Ref maps, I have them all folded to only show the route I'm following so keeps size down, I have my old Flying suit from flying the JP so I'll get a map in each knee pocket and the one in use will be wedged somewhere safe, hopefully not against the U/C rubbers!
Should also be able to keep a pooleys and a variety of plotters and other gubbins stowed pretty safely but have no intention to try any aeros en route as by the looks of it I'll be kept pretty busy with the nav.

Am well versed in the use of my own GPS which will be strapped to my knee and has the route already plugged in, not so familiar with the one fitted in the aircraft however which I will leave on merely as to back up the position of the first.

Thanks for all the info chaps, will try to take a phew photos when I collect her and en route to post up when I'm back. All I need now is a half decent weather forecast as some point next week which aint looking very likely at the moment! I assume Nippers dont leak too much in the rain!

Regards

Des

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:13 am

Hi Des,

You could go over the MATZ at 3001ft and not talk to them, tho' talking is always a good idea.

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

DesH

Postby DesH » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:07 am

Thanks for that Neil, I'm basing the route on worst case weather wise but of course always have the option of cutting some corners if I can get high enough. Dont have a problem at all with MATZ pen's as I flew out of the Kinloss / Lossie combined MATZ for 3 years!
Am indeed rather keen to to speak to the local service however as I dont fancy getting speared by something fast and pointy! Not that it always helps, a few years ago I was instructing within the Kinloss MATZ on the Kinloss freq in a Military aircraft (Vigilant) and had a near miss with a visiting Jag who it turns out was speaking to Lossie. I was demonstrating the stall to a cadet and just saw it out of the corner of my eye as the nose started to drop, It was one of those horrible 'waiting for the bang' situations as he dissapeared under the nose...fortunately to come out of the other side again.

JAB

Postby JAB » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:45 am

Hi Des

Pleased to see you back fit and ready to do some nippering.

I flew from dundee down the west side to Oaksey Park last year in XD during my charity flight, stopping at carlisle,blackpool and glouchester for refuel and defuel. Trip was quite straightforward with most nav done by map reading and ifrr [ I fly roads railways]
Light Aircraft corridor easy to track just watchout for traffic. M6 takes you to carlisle then m74 to glasgow with a left turn past the radio mast to cumbernauld then balado golfball to perth.
Lots of diversion places to land a nipper just ensure you know where they are.
Do not drink too much before setting off!!!
I planned no more than 1 3/4hr legs which worked well xd 2 1/2 hrs to empty.

Let me know when you set off as I will try and join up around alloa with you.

Looking fwds to see you as part of the jock nipper wing

have a safe trip

John

DesH

Postby DesH » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:30 am

Hi John, was going to give you a call tonight actually if thats ok?

A meet up around Alloa would be a great idea and a fitting way for FE to arrive at her new home in Perth, in company with another Nipper!

WRT Blackpool, did you have the 5mil 3rd party insurance they require or did they waive it in the case of a Nipper being so small ? That would make a much better fuel Div for me if possible ? I'm sure the Onrisk policy only comes with £750,000 3rd party.

JAB

Postby JAB » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:00 pm

Des

I am at present in Melksham returning to Scotland 17:00ish tues. -use my mobile no if you wish.
I had no problem with Blackpool. I just ppr'd, ensured they were aware what the nipper was and requested a quick refuel . I requested no handling as I wanted to leave asap. Insurance was not mentioned, Landing fee was 10:00 I think, fuel £1:60 a litre.
Barton is another good place.

rgds John

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Postby G-NIPR » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Des,
When is the big day? If it coincides with good wx and a day off I might trundle down to Perth to meet you (in G-NIPR).
I wanted to come down last weekend for the show but was on standby...
Let me know and I will see what I can do.

Paul.
G-NIPR.

DesH

Postby DesH » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:13 am

Hi Paul, the timings are still a bit up in the air at the moment (unlike me!) as Im trying to find a day that looks like I'll have good wx for as much of the route as possible and also fits around work. At the moment Thurs or Fri is probably looking best though everytime I look at the forecast it seems to have changed!

Will let you know as soon as I do and will update John en route who can keep you posted if your free.

Regards

Des

DesH

Postby DesH » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi Paul,

Thats my plans made for Friday, aiming to be at Yeovilton for circa 10:00hrs LT and will take it from there. My planned route takes a total of approx 4hrs 30mins in still air with hopefully only one stop at either Blackpool or Carlisle wx / winds dependant.

I'm also just in the process of sorting an out of hours indemnity for Perth so I dont have to get stressed about landing before they close at 17:00hrs in case of delays.

Would be good if you can John can both make it to Perth / over Alloa!, will give John a call this evening now he's back and will give him an update on Friday when en route.

Regards

Des

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Postby G-NIPR » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:54 am

Thanks Des,
Alas I'm flying the 'late shift' on Friday, so will be about 20000 feet above you! I will however keep comm 2 tuned to the FIS frequencies and if I hear you will say a quick hello. I will be callsign 'JERSEY 207 or 208' depending on which way I am going when you here me.
I will look into coming down to see you and John sometime soon.
Keep in touch,

Paul.
G-NIPR.

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”