Ignitions Help

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
Rui

Ignitions Help

Postby Rui » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi everybody

The work in our Tipsy nipper is going well and is almost ready.
we now working in the engine and have problémes with the ignition system. Accordingly Greatplaines the engine is a old Mosler with double ignition sold in the past by Motoravia under the name "Sabre"
we contacted henri from Leburg in August. He repplied saying that the new ignitions shoulb be ready around october .
I have been trying to contact him now but have no repply.
Does somebody knows what is happenning with the new company? Are they going to produce and sell the ignitions?
In the case Leburg is not a solution can I use Compufire in a double ignition system?

Thanking you in advance

Rui Smile

Neil Spooner

Re: Ignitions Help

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:36 am

Hi Rui,
Henry is still making the ignition systems, I spoke with him last week. The Leburg website is down at the moment, he is now aware of it, but is very busy moving house at the moment, so I am sure the 'site is a low priority. Have you managed to buy any of the Leburg system? I personally would stick with the Leburg, unfortunately the external sensor type controllers are the only ones available now, but I have devised a way of making the setup similar to the original internal sensor type.
I need some components from Henry, so will be talking to him soon, what do you need?
Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Rui

Postby Rui » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:46 am

Hi Neil
Thanks for your help.
It is good to know that Henry is in business .
I only have the coils , so I need all the rest: sensors and electronic units.
Can you tell me if there is any other way to contact Henry?

Thank you again

Rui

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi Rui,
The Leburg site is back up with contact details for Henry on it.
Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

jantar

Postby jantar » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:43 pm

Some information from a recent "expert".Do not use Compufire. Problems of modifing cowling to take the short distributor and loss of dist.hole as tacho drive also loss of space for Peugeot fuel pump. Finally it draws 4.2 amps which is too much. All the above can be overcome but it is better to avoid. I am running 1 Compufire and 1 Leburg and if I was starting again would run 2 Leburgs. The external sensor model is OK and probably better than the internal. It runs on 1 disc and 2 sensors. No problem except that the connector blocks are too fiddly for a normal human. Jantar

NeilD

Postby NeilD » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:11 am

Hi
I fitted a Leburg system to my FRED last year.
It has worked really well. I changed to the external sensor due to the engine mount clashing with the modules, but retained the magnets on the motorbike flywheel.

If i did it again i would definitely use the prop flange disc / magnet arrangement as it allows modification if necessary.

NeilD

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:24 am

Hi NeilD,

On an engine I am building for another Nipper owner I had intended to do that. Do you have any pictures of how you mounted the sensors? My intention was to mount the sensors top and bottom of the alternator stator mounting. However, the front mounted option is more accessible, easier to adjust, but more prone to damage, and the routing of the sensor wires more exposed.

NeilS
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

NeilD

Postby NeilD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:16 am

I have a picture of the fixture - i'll try to upload it.

The LAA have copies of the drawings i sent in with the FRED Mod.

David M had approved the design also.

NeilD

NeilD

Postby NeilD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:23 am

Sensor bracket for use with magnets on flywheel
Attachments
LPIC1176.JPG
LPIC1176.JPG (568.08 KiB) Viewed 17101 times

Rui

Postby Rui » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Thanks to everybody . You really are fantastic.
We have decided to use Leburg ignitions with the sensors in the propeller plate.
The probléme is that I am not able to contact Henry. Is site is down.
I hope it will be for a short period. I will wait some more days to see if he comes back.
Sorry Neil but if he does not come back with the site I will have to ask for your help again

Thanks again

Rui

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi Rui,

I have sent Henry an email to advise him of the website and your order.......will let you know when I get a response.

Happy New Year.

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Rui

Postby Rui » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi Neil

Thank you again
Happy new year to you too.

Rui

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:03 pm

..........have also sent a text.......Henry has recently moved house to France, so I can imagine his priorities have to be elsewhere at the moment.
Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:19 am

Hi Rui,

Henry has moved house recently, and the removal company has lost all the Leburg parts, as soon as I hear that supplies have become available again I will let you know........I needed some parts too for an engine build for someone else, so I too am frustrated by the situation, Henry is pulling his hair out.

If you are not desperate I would hold out for a while longer.....the system is worth waiting for.

Neil
Last edited by Neil Spooner on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Rui

Postby Rui » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi Neil
No probleme .I agree with you. I think that is better to wait. For the time being we testing the engine in the ground with a Bosh ignition.
Please advise to my mail if possible: melo.sereno@gmail.com
Thanks
Rui

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”