Is a Nipper for me??

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
Monty

Is a Nipper for me??

Postby Monty » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi all,

Just joined the group today and I have very limited knowledge of all things 'Nipper' so would appreciate any help you can offer!

I currently own a share and fly a group A Eurostar, but the possible sale of this in the future has prompted me to start looking at other options.

I'd be looking for an economical to run aerobatic LAA plane that I can enjoy to fly without having to worry about how much it's costing me. My safety is my prime consideration, so would need to have a good safety record and have no bad handling quirks and be able to handle short farm strips.

Having looked at a couple of old Nipper adverts and reviews it would seem to be a prime candidate, but as I'm a large framed 6' and 95kg I'm wondering if I'm too large to comfortably fit in and too heavy to be able to aero with any fuel?? I'd be grateful for any comments or other advice/alternatives.

Many thanks,

Monty.

NeilD

Re: Is a Nipper for me??

Postby NeilD » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi Monty,

i can't say too much about the nipper, I've only had mine for a few months.
I have very low hours, but found no problem flying the nipper - it's great fun.
Short field performance is no problem - mine has the Jab engine,

6ft is no problem - again, mine can take a 6ft4 pilot. for weight and balance, you can fill the main tanks, tip tanks, and still weigh 17.5 stone. I think you could still have 1.5 hrs fuel at aero weight, with a max pilot weight of 1.75 stone.

NeilD

Monty

Postby Monty » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your comments, did you buy G-CCFE?? That's one of the old Nipper ads I've been looking at, it looked like a really nice example..... let me know if you're selling it!!

Best wishes,

Monty.

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Hello Monty

Welcome aboard.
If you do find a Nipper you will never be able to wipe the grin Very Happy off your face every time you fly.I've owned mine since I built her way back in 1987! and I still enjoy every flight. They are a real pleasure to fly.
As regards weight and balance and physical size, I am 6' 4" and weigh about 200 lbs on a good day! and can aero legally with only 2 galls of fuel (the actual fuel quantity is 3.3 galls but the last 1.3 galls are what is described in the pilots notes as 'trapped fuel' and are included in the empty weight and balance schedule). These figures are based on my Nipper with an empty weight of 469 lbs, so as you can see the lighter the airframe the more fuel for aero's but, I find after about 20 to 30 mins I've had enough any way Confused
Being a tall chap you will need a Nipper with the mod to the seat back which rakes the the top by about 1.5" and cranked rudder pedals. If not you will not be able to shut the canopy!
Good luck in your search, Nippers are not often advertised and when they are they are soon snapped up Sad

Best wishes

Stuart

Monty

Postby Monty » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your thoughts, 'you will never be able to wipe the grin off your face every time you fly' is exactly what I'd be looking for, though think I'd have to go on a diet to really enjoy it!! Shocked

I think you're based just down the road from me, if things do progress and I start seriously looking I'll be in touch to pick your brains if that would be ok??

Best wishes,

Monty

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:59 am

Monty

If you are just down the road (I'm at Crowland, NE of Peterborough) you a welcome to come and try my Nipper for size.

Stuart

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi Monty,

Welcome to the Nipper Group. Unless you enjoy tumbling manouvers that seems the current aero' way, the Tipsy Nipper will give you loads of fun for just 3 imp' gals/hr. You can buy/build a complete engine for what one Lycoming Cyl' will cost. Insurance/hangarage is cheap. The a/c is easy to fly, easy to aero', but hard to aero' well....tho' it's probably my inability!! I am just North of Colchester if you are in the area. I have got a few youtube videos which may interest you: http://www.youtube.com/user/goncstube

BTW, I am 6ft/195lbs, mine is "made to measure", and is extremely comfortable, I have an extra fuel tank under the main one, both tanks gives me 3.5hrs endurance, with the new engine/cowlings I cruise at 95kts.

Good luck and Hippo New Year.

NeilS
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Pat Blenkinsopp

Postby Pat Blenkinsopp » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Greetings Monty,
Welcome to the forum. Smile
I am based just to the NW of Winchester if you want to check out my Nipper (GASXI)
Mine has the Jab engine and is a real hoot to fly
pat@blenkinsopp.net
Regards,
Pat Very Happy

Monty

Postby Monty » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi Neil & Pat,

Many thanks to you both and to all others that have offered me the chance to look at your Nippers and see if I can fit in one... I've been really impressed with the friendliness and camaraderie of all the Nipper owners that I've had contact with so far, it's really encouraging and I've now decided a Nipper will be for me when the Eurostar goes.... if I can fit in!

If the weather ever clears I'm hoping to arrange to fly in to meet some of you.

Best wishes,

Mat.

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”