Looking to buy - but a few questions first

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
RobW

Looking to buy - but a few questions first

Postby RobW » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:46 am

Dear All - apologies if these are 'frequently asked' but I've had a trawl through this forum and can't find answers!

I'm looking to sell my Skyranger 912 to replace with a Nipper, but before I commit:

1) Will a Nipper operate safely from a 300 metre grass strip (with clear approaches)?
2) Is the short field performance of the VW much worse than the Jab?
3) Is the suspension up to the odd lump and bump (my field isn't bad, but it's no bowling green!)
4) Is the wing spar 'lifed' ? Would original Nippers still be strong enough for the usual aeros ?
5) As a 6 ft 2 pilot / 34 inch leg, 14 stone, will I fit a standard Nipper or will I need the 'tall pilot mod'? How easy is this to retrofit (is it simply new rudder pedals?)
6) Is there such a thing as a 'guide price' and should I expect VW engined variants to be much cheaper than the Jabiru?
7) Can either type run inverted or is it only the VW types that can be modified?
Cool Is there any significant difference between Mk1, Mk2, and Mk3 variants?

I look forward to 'loitering' on here in future! Again, apologies if these questions are answered elsewhere, please feel free to tell me 'where to go' (politely of course)!

Thanks, Rob

Neil Spooner

Re: Looking to buy - but a few questions first

Postby Neil Spooner » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:58 am

HI Rob,
Welcome to the Nipper forum!
To answer your Q's as briefly as possible:
1-Yes
2-Depends on the VW engine/installation, engine output varies from 40-85hp.
3-The u/c is very robust and will tolerate rough strips
4-No "life" on the spar.......originally on a CofA it was certified for +6-4g, now on a Permit +4-2. If you pull more than +4 it pretty much stops going forwards!!
5-You will need the mod' that reclines the seat which is quite intensive to install, and the rudder mod' which is very straight-forward. I am a tad under 6ft and have both mod's, I find the a/c very comfortable and could easily use the 3.5hr endurance to cross country (not sure about the bladder tho'!!)
6-The Nipper is now being recognised as a very cheap aerobatic a/c to operate, great fun to fly, STOL and tough, there are moves afoot to start making fuselage frames again, so a "new build" is becoming possible....but the time frame on that is wide open tho'. Although the Jab' engine Nipper is 80hp and electric start it hasn't been modified to operate inverted, which in my opinion makes the Nipper much much more fun and capable. A well built 2180cc or even a 2330cc engine matches the Jab', costs 1/3 the price and is easily supportable. I don't think the Jab' engined Nipper commands much more in price than a VW, maybe £1-2k, but when you consider the new engine price you won't get that back when you come to sell. A good Nipper should command £15-17k, a tatty one in need of restoration about £10k in my opinion, but do get a thorough survey of the a/c and log books.
7-No, not really. the most noticeable difference in the Mk3 is the "raked back" turtle deck, which in my opinion make the a/c look much more attractive.
Good luck in your search for a Nipper!! Look just behind the rocking horse, it will be next to the "droppings"!!

I don't know of another a/c that is as much fun, as capable and as cheap to fly, but bear in mind that mine is VW, 80hp, fully inverted oil and fuel which is rare, I think that there are only 2 others in that spec', not including Barry Smiths which is under restoratation.

Where are you based? I heartily recommend you "try one on for size"

For some cockpit aero' footage have a look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9ox1f- ... ature=fvsr I did this one some time ago, and would like to believe the accuracy and repetoir is much improved now!! The rolling circles are great fun!!

All the best,

Neil

ps, sorry, I have been trying to remove the really small photo, then post a large one which was too big, then a slightly smaller one, but can't seem to delete any of the photos......DOH!
Attachments
G ONCS web.jpg
G ONCS web.jpg (548.65 KiB) Viewed 16907 times
Last edited by Neil Spooner on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:38 am

.........is Larrys still for sale?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=366&p=1728#p1728
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

DesH

Postby DesH » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 am

As of yesterday it was but I know he's had a lot of interest, a member of my C172 group was looking at it on Sunday and seriously thinking about buying it, I suspect it wont be around for long...!
Last edited by DesH on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

DesH

Postby DesH » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 am

Deleted as a double post!

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:31 am

Is there any significant difference between Mk1, Mk2, and Mk3 variants?

Yes - The engine mounting on the MK II Nipper will not accept the VW engine directly mounted. On the MK II Nippers there is a transition casting between the airframe and engine on which the earlier, lighter engines were mounted. To directly mount a larger / heavier VW engine the airframe requires some modification involving the welding of new engine mounts to suit the VW engine crankcase attachment spacing.
However a MK II Nipper (G-ASXI) has flown with a Rollason Ardem 1600cc directly replacing the original Stamo 1400cc engine and retained the lighter open cowlings.

David G-ARBG

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:18 am

........thanks David......I am showing my ignorance again!!

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

RobW

Postby RobW » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks for the replies! There seems to be no shortage of advice / support which is great, and much appreciated!

I'm based at a private farm strip in Suffolk, not far from Priory Farm. Actually I was at Priory Farm yesterday when G-AVKI arrived (on the way back from a very impressive display by Neil apparently!). I had a sit in, and found no problem with shoulder / head clearance, but with my feet on the pedals my knees were wedged under the spar, so it seems I will need at least the rudder pedal mod.

I'm very impressed by Larry's advert and have been in email contact as his looks like the ideal machine for me. However I have to sell my skyranger first, and despite a couple of viewings and being promised a deposit, nothing appears to be forthcoming. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Larry won't sell just yet... and he doesn't want to swap!

Incidentally Neil - I have a share in a Beagle Pup with a colleague of yours (Mark Evans) who mentioned your name as 'one who knows' about nippers! I only got to fly the pup once, as it's now been grounded by the CAA, but that's another story! I've now vowed never to go into ownership of CofA aircraft again!

Kind regards, Rob

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:54 am

Hi Rob,
I have got a couple of days off now, back to work on Friday, are you about? I could drop in in mine so you can see what the seat mod's does for the room. pm me with your mob' # if you like........foggy today!!
Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

RobW

Postby RobW » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Just to let you all know that I'm now the proud owner of G-CCFE! Yes she does seem to get about a bit but I hope she'll be here to stay for a good while! Hangared at a 300 metre farm strip only 5 mins from my house Very Happy
I'm having a great time in her, and she really isn't hugely different to my Skyranger in terms of short field performance, control forces, take off/landing speeds, inertia, drag etc. In fact, I'd recommend any GA types considering Nippers to get some time in a 3-axis microlight as 'FE seems to have much more in common with microlights than PA28s and other 'spam-cans'!
Anyway, now the 'honeymoon' period is over I'm starting to consider 'tinkering' and general improvements. Here are a few thoughts / questions:
1) Does anybody out there fly an open cockpit nipper, or is there an open cockpit conversion? Didn't some of the earlier nippers have a simple 'half screen' ? I fancy the 'wind in the hair' experience (if I had hair).
2) Can the brakes or wheels of other aircraft be made to fit (with minimal paperwork)? I've seen the thread on brakes, I was just wondering if anybody had found 'off the shelf' discs etc that can fit without major hassle.
3) Does the nosewheel 'ferobestos' bushing need lubrication or is it really maintenance free (as the early sales literature suggests)? As it contains asbestos should I be looking to replace with nylon or something else?
4) I've noted approx 10mm side to side play at the top of the stick before the aileron cables start to move. It looks like wear in the linkage at the base of the stick -is this much play normal or should I be concerned?
5) Fuselage bracing wires are welded in place and don't seem particularly tight. Are turnbuckles standard or were they introduced later?
6) When I flew 'FE home I found I couldn't relax my legs as my feet would slide forwards onto the pedals, I later found that the foot 'tray' angles downwards towards the front, which persuades the heels to slide forwards. It looks deliberate, but I can't see that it's necessary. Is this part of the long-leg mod? I'm considering getting rid of this feature as it encourages pressure on both pedals at once when in the cruise, which surely can't be a good thing. Just wondering if others have this, or if there's an accepted 'fix' (such as a piece of plywood) to flatten the tray...?

Thanks,

Rob

RobW

Postby RobW » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:02 pm

PS is it me or do all Nipper owners smell of fumes/avgas when they get home?? I can't see any leaks etc in the Jab's exhaust system so perhaps it's a feature of the Nipper's aerodynamics...?

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi Rob,

If we meet I can run thru' these items, but if we don't:
1-The open screen produced too much turbulence around the tailgroup and was not a success from what I have read. I have also spoken with some people who have the extra wide "bubble" canopy which was never supplied by Nipper, this canopy produces similar problems.....so it may be a good idea to "keep your hair on"!!
2-I don't think any two Nippers have the same brakes fitted apart from the very inefficient originals. Jabiru wheels/brakes may make a good alternative.
3-The POH does not say the bushes should be lubricated, but a very light grease or engine oil will help look after the "tufnol" type nose leg bushes, clean the strut first. There is no asbestos to worry about.
4-The play at the top of the stick is excessive, and is likely to be due to the cross bolt and/or the quadrant worn. Replacing the bolt is very easy, the quadrant a little more involved as you are disturbing the aileron circuit.......try a bolt first.
5-The brace wires are often slack. The turnbuckle is a mod, and needs to be done at restoration, as it requires lugs to be welded to the fuselage.
6-No reason why you couldn't put a bar across the floor pan, but you need to be absolutely sure it does not affect the operation of the rudders. I have found that the Nipper with the "flying" std rudder needs a rudder input to center the rudder, or the a/c goes wandering off on its own!!
ps-I don't smell of fumes/avgas.......tho' I don't use it.....too expensive!! The Jabiru exhaust exits underneath in a positive press' area......you might want to fit a CO detector.....do you suffer headaches after flying?

What are you doing on Fri'?

Look fwd to meeting soon.

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:56 pm

[quote="G-ARBG"]Is there any significant difference between Mk1, Mk2, and Mk3 variants?

Yes - The engine mounting on the MK II Nipper will not accept the VW engine directly mounted. On the MK II Nippers there is a transition casting between the airframe and engine on which the earlier, lighter engines were mounted. To directly mount a larger / heavier VW engine the airframe requires some modification involving the welding of new engine mounts to suit the VW engine crankcase attachment spacing.
However a MK II Nipper (G-ASXI) has flown with a Rollason Ardem 1600cc directly replacing the original Stamo 1400cc engine and retained the lighter open cowlings.

I surveyed a Nipper MK1 I think.....fitted with the VW engine on engine mountings that were not modified.......1/4" bolts holding a VW on.......not sure I liked what I saw............
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

RobW

Postby RobW » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks Neil, much appreciated. I can be around on Friday morning if Wx permits.
I've had a look over 'FE and I think the play in the stick is to do with the pivot bolt at the base (not the cross bolt). It all looks a bit slack, so I'll have a look at that when I can.
Avgas - well yes, that's another thing and another topic, but I would like to convert to Mogas one day! I don't have a CO detector but no headaches either!
I've heard of a nipper using Jabiru wheels and brakes, but I've not seen it. That particular nipper hasn't seen the light of day for 10 years! I'll tell you about that when I see you!
Regards, Rob

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Rob,

Fancy breakfast at Old Buckenham? Any other Nipper owners fancy joining us? Lets say 1000?

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”