Another Nipper in a scrape.

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
G-NIPR
Site Admin

Another Nipper in a scrape.

Postby G-NIPR » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:55 am

Another Nipper in a scrape, turning into to a rather bad year for damaged Nippers.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/light_aircr ... _1_1000259

I hope whoever it was is flying again soon...

Paul.
G-NIPR

RobW

Re: Another Nipper in a scrape.

Postby RobW » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Sorry to hear that. Glad the pilot was OK. Weybourne has its share of rabbit holes - are Nippers known for weak nosewheels?

I know of another Nipper near to me that suffered damage recently following a forced landing. Fortunately the pilot was OK. I'd rather not say much more about the incident as it's not my place to do so. At least one of the syndicate members is on this forum so he might provide an update in due course.

microlightgary

Postby microlightgary » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:32 pm

RobW wrote:I know of another Nipper near to me that suffered damage recently following a forced landing. Fortunately the pilot was OK. I'd rather not say much more about the incident as it's not my place to do so. At least one of the syndicate members is on this forum so he might provide an update in due course.

Spoke to the pilot yesterday and he's shortly going to make a post on the forum about this incident with a very salutary warning for all pilots. I'll leave it to him because it's not my place either!

AdamS

Postby AdamS » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:24 pm

Hello all, I thought I would share my recent misadventure in G-AVKI, because the fact that I emerged from the incident completely unscathed I put down, at least partially, to having read a previous report on a fatal Nipper accident. So in the interest of sharing experience, here's my story:

On Sat 6 Aug, the weather was mainly overcast but with no cloud below about 4000 ft and with a medium breeze (approx 10 kts) from the SW. I planned to fly G-AVKI just for some circuits at its home at RAF Honington. For various reasons, it had been 12 months since I last flew.

After a thorough walk-round, including visually checking that the fuel tank was full and removing the engine cowling to check the oil level and the general condition of the engine, I climbed into the aircraft. I carried out the pre-start checks and then Gary (the co-owner of G-AVKI) hand swung the propeller. After start, I confirmed that the oil pressure was normal and set 1200 RPM to allow the engine to warm while I completed my checks and ensured that the GPS was operating normally. I then made a blind call on 122.1 (there is no ATC at RAF Honington) and taxied for R/W 26 at 1220 hrs.

Just short of the hold for 26, I confirmed that the oil temperature was indicating on the gauge and carried out the engine checks. All seemed normal and I noted a clear RPM drop on selection of carb heat, which restored promptly on deselection. After making a call for take off, I lined up on R/W 26 and opened the throttle. Throttle response was as I expected and I confirmed 2900 RPM on the gauge. Acceleration was normal and I rotated at about 45 knots and the aircraft climbed under full power. The right-hand circuit (at 800 ft) was initially flown without any problems. On the downwind leg I carried out pre-landing checks which included selecting Carb Heat to HOT and leaving it there.

All appeared normal until the very end of the downwind leg. I started turning onto base while lowering the nose and throttling back. I was looking out towards the runway in my 4 o’clock when I felt the engine noise fade to silence in a couple of seconds. I looked forward to see the propeller stationary and immediately confirmed that the mags were ON and the fuel selector was ON. However, with no electric starter, I had no ability to restart the engine. I then looked to see if I could glide to the airfield, while at the same time pulling the turn tighter to head back towards it. I was by now facing south at about 600 ft but it was quite clear that I was not going to be able to make the airfield perimeter.

I looked for a suitable landing site and quickly selected a large brown field on the extended centreline of R/W 26. I established that I could land into it in an into-wind direction but was very aware that the surface looked rough. I put out a brief Mayday on 122.1 (which I subsequently discovered was heard by both the Suffolk police helicopter, the RAF Fire Services and by the model aircraft club on the Station, who called 999) and then switched off the mags and turned the fuel selector to OFF. I remember consciously thinking that I had read a report on a Nipper fatality in which the pilot had been killed because his straps were loose when the aircraft nosed over on a forced landing. I therefore pulled my straps viciously tight.

The touchdown went well, about a third of the way into the large field that I had selected, with the mainwheels touching at about 35 kts, just as I ran out of elevator authority as the stick reached the aft stop. The nosewheel touched immediately afterwards and the Nipper ran straight for 2 or 3 seconds before the noseleg dug in and the aircraft pitched over and came to a stop. Although the canopy had broken in one area, the Nipper’s fin had prevented any further damage to the cabin and I was completely unhurt, albeit upside-down and thus unable to open the canopy.

I retrieved my mobile phone from my pocket and called Gary, asking him to arrange some assistance. Fortunately, as I hung up, I heard voices from people who had witnessed my landing while driving on the country road neighbouring the field. They kindly lifted the tail and righted the aircraft, allowing me to exit the cockpit. Over the next 10 minutes, the Suffolk police helicopter, the local and RAF Honington fire service, the police and an ambulance all arrived. I felt considerably embarrassed at the number of people I was inconveniencing, but everyone was extremely friendly and helpful.

With help from the police and the local farmer, and following permission from the AAIB (whom the police had contacted at my request), the aircraft was recovered to RAF Honington that afternoon. We removed the cowlings and took fuel samples but could see no obvious cause of the engine stoppage. I'll post some photos shortly.

Any lessons learned here? Probably the one I would highlight is that I think it's easy to feel 'safe' in the circuit. I went from being very comfortable and happy with being back in the sky after a year off to being upside down in a field in less than 30 seconds. It was unfortunate that the engine stopped when it did, as any earlier and I would have easily been able to make it back to the airfield, if not onto the runway. I suspect that the failure, when we track it down, will be linked in some way to my throttling back for the descent. I suppose the message is, it CAN happen to you! And if it all goes wrong, make sure you're meeting mother earth with your harness really really tight, 'cause it will literally save your neck!
Last edited by AdamS on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamS

Postby AdamS » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:37 pm

This was the approximate view out of the right hand side of the cockpit when the engine stopped. You can see the threshold of R/W26 on the right. The X marks where I landed and I've also marked the wind direction.
Attachments
View 4 annotated.jpg
View 4 annotated.jpg (235.98 KiB) Viewed 16999 times

AdamS

Postby AdamS » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:40 pm

G-AVKI once righted by passers-by. Looking somewhat sorry for herself. The field had only been recently ploughed as previously it had been set-aside pasture!
Attachments
06082011427.jpg
06082011427.jpg (96.99 KiB) Viewed 17177 times

AdamS

Postby AdamS » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Note the damage to the fin when the aircraft flipped over. I'm not sure if that's a design feature to protect the cockpit!
Attachments
06082011431.jpg
06082011431.jpg (61.34 KiB) Viewed 16973 times

AdamS

Postby AdamS » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm now in the market for a new canopy, a propellor and a noseleg. In fact, the reality is that Gary and I have neither the skill (in my case) nor the time (for both of us) to repair G-AVKI ourselves. Thus I'd be grateful for any advice on how to move forward. We could either pay for someone to do the repairs (any recommendations?), or sell her to someone who's after a restoration project. I don't think it will be a massive task to get her back in the air, but unfortunately, until we develop a plan, G-AVKI will have to remain tucked up in a hangar at Honington for the forseeable future.
Attachments
Nosewheel.JPG
Nosewheel.JPG (133.16 KiB) Viewed 16983 times

JAB

Postby JAB » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:22 am

Adam,
Well done for achieving a successful field landing.
Having just been lucky enough to do the same I endorse your comments.
I presume the insurance chaps are not in the loop regards your rebuild?
There are many who could do your repairs, however I suggest that you speak to Neil and see what he can recommend.

Good show

John

AdamS

Postby AdamS » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks John, (and it's 20 years since we were on the Fighting Cocks together!). I'm aware of 5 Nipper forced landings and yours is the only one I know about where you stayed right way up - well done!

Unfortunately, the insurance doesn't stretch to covering the damage to G-AVKI, so it's self-funding for the repairs. Sad

JAB

Postby JAB » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Adam

Yes, although retired now 'The Fighting Cocks' bring good memories of fun and busy times.

If I can be of help please send a PM or feel free to call - 01262609378.

Yam Sin

John

RobW

Postby RobW » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi Adam -
Sorry to hear about this incident, but glad you're OK. I'd love a nipper project one day but unfortunately no time or money at the moment, especially after just purchasing a spare engine for 'CCFE! But I'll ask around at Priory Farm / Breckland Strut as there are some very capable and helpful chaps over there.
As I'm only a few miles from Honington I'm happy to help if I can - drop me an email or call me on 07775 868218.
Cheers,
Rob

AdamS

Postby AdamS » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:06 am

Many thanks Rob!

While I ponder the way ahead regarding how the work gets done, I think I need to start sourcing the major parts. Anyone got any good ideas for getting a canopy or a noseleg? (Unfortunately, the noseleg that was on this forum a few months back has gone.)

Adam

mike newall

Postby mike newall » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:17 pm

I still have the red paint for the cowling.

PM me an address and I will forward FOC

Mike Newall
Ray's Brother

mike newall

Postby mike newall » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:32 pm

And Ray says he has a top and bottom cowling spare.

get in touch

01757 248694

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”