G-CORD Rebuild

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
Neil Spooner

Re: G-CORD Rebuild

Postby Neil Spooner » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:53 am

Hi Peter,

Well done, did you measure the displacement at the tips, if so I would be interested to compare with my load test.

Regarding your fuz', when you come to do the turtledeck stringers I suggest you make all the top ones full length to prevent the "dinosaur hump" which I did not do. As the fabric comes tight it deforms the contour.

Neil

Fuselage (107).JPG
Fuselage (107).JPG (784.31 KiB) Viewed 16635 times
Attachments
Tailgroup (2).JPG
Tailgroup (2).JPG (2.84 MiB) Viewed 16496 times
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Hello Neil, thanks for the tip regarding the fuz stringers. I will return your test 'stand' as soon as I can identify an opportunity!

The wing deflection was almost exactly 2" and equal on both wings. That was loaded to 4g as per your Shrenck data. Most of the bags I used were 25kg hence the slightly different layout to your test. I also had to reduce the weight in quite a few bags to get the distribution correct. How does the deflection compare to your test?

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Well the wing has now been stripped and well on the way to repairing some superficial damage to the leading edge as the attached phot shows. Recovering scheduled for this week and the fuselage collection for next Monday from Airweld so things are starting to happen at last!

One option I was considering is buying a couple of wingtip fuel tanks but modifying them to be removable baggage pods. Has anyone considered or tried this previously ? Any thoughts welcome!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 16433 times

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:53 am

Hi Roy,

Nice to see some solid progress......keep up the good work!!

All sorts of issues with luggage "tanks".......design/capacity/asymetric loading/W&B and possibly a few more that some others may come up with. Most Nippers are close to the max' weights, so unless you find you have a large excess the complexity/certification issues will not add up IMHO. If you work towards achieving a CG toward the front end a "baggage compartment" behind the pilot is the easiest and cleanest.

Good luck with the progress.

Neil

Fuselage (189)v1.jpg
Fuselage (189)v1.jpg (144.6 KiB) Viewed 16402 times
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Hello Neil,

Thanks for the reply as always , my simple brain was thinking equivalent weight to fuel capacity and evenly distributed,but, sounds like that would not be the LAA view! Made good progress this week with the wing as the attached picture shows, should finish the taping tomorrow then ready for priming/painting/storing before starting on the fuselage!!

[img][/img]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 16328 times

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi Peter,

Its always satisfying covering an a/c I think. Make sure you use plenty of seam cement on the ribs to glue the fabric to them, no rib stitching on a Nipper. On my a/c when pulling g you really can see the fabric pulling on the ribs. The finishing tape helps reinforce the fabric and reduces the likely-hood of cracking of the dope/paint where it flexes at the rib. If you are using a 2 pack paint make sure you use a plasticiser in it and the u/coat. Keep it light!!

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:30 am

Hello Neil, the initial wing work is now all but complete, tapes fitted and 3 coats of clear dope brushed on prior to prepping for spraying more clear dope, silver and colour. Still plenty of work left there, 90% done and 90% to go as they say!!

Picked up the fuselage from Paul at Airweld yesterday and it looks good with the 'tall pilot' , 'baggage locker' , additional 'roll over' protection and the separate fin and rudder mods all incorporated. Regrettably the canopy did not survive as it completely split when Paul went to move it for collection. So I am now in the market for a new canopy if you have heard of any sitting about?

Next step for the fuselage is to get it blasted and primed prior to wet painting. I remember you mentioned the possibility of additional internal fuel capacity? Do you have any design details or approvals I could refer to?

Many thanks as always, hope you are making the best if this weather and good luck if you are aero[img][/img]batting in the near future.

Peter
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 16325 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 16303 times

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi Peter,
Well done, keep up the progress!!
No spare canopies about, but I know where there is a mould, and I know where I can get them done.
Extra fuel for me is under the main tank in a 3impgal alloy tank, contents pumped into the main via separate pump, 12v supply needed, tho' no problem with Leburg ign'.
I have an alternative in hand which is a triangular tank as part of the main, with a flop tube in it, about 2impgals, no pump, lighter=better and less complicated........will do it when I have less time!!
Neil

Aux tank (18).JPG
Aux tank (18).JPG (814.96 KiB) Viewed 16279 times

Aux tank (19).JPG
Aux tank (19).JPG (697.76 KiB) Viewed 16257 times
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:30 am

.....another photo showing the transfer pump and plumbing:

Fuel tank bottom 5.JPG
Fuel tank bottom 5.JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 16283 times
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Hello Neil,

Thanks for the tank details, I was also thinking along the lines of a gravity fed 'inverted pyramid' scabbed onto the existing tank, but, have not got around to checking clearances v capacity yet. I will PM you regarding the canopy.

Peter

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Postby G-NIPR » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am

Hello All,
Well done on the progress Peter. I will endeavour to get to see it next time I am South.
Perhaps it is time that we canvass opinion on a canopy production run? This was raised a few years ago, but died away.
There might be sufficient interest now. My funds aren't what they used to be, but if the price was affordable I would be in.
I don't yet need one, but it is always my nightmare with Nipper ownership as this is probably the least readily available item, that you just can't fly without!
I have had a few greatly enjoyable local trips recently, and hope to get a go-pro HD sometime soon to record them.
Best wishes to all, and enjoy this proper summer.

Paul.
G-NIPR.

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:04 am

Hi Paul,

Good to hear from you! I had a brief offline chat with Neil and he voiced similar concerns regarding the availability if Nipper canopies. There is no doubt in my mind that Paul at Airweld intends to achieve a solution in the near future. Paul mentioned that a supplier was in the process of constructing an oven, as we speak. I believe they are going to start trying with prototypes within a matter of weeks and a price of around £900 was mentioned. When I collected the fuselage I did not discuss the possibility of a 'job lot' but I would hope that Paul would be willing to negotiate if the numbers were sufficient.

I have attached a picture of the remains of my canopy and the original canopy mould that is currently sitting in the Airweld workshop, so it does exist and only requires a suitable supplier to be sourced.

Glad to hear you are Nippering up there, will you be at Sywell this year?

All the best, Peter

[img][/img]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 16222 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 16229 times

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi Peter

Well done with the progress......brings back memories of my Nipper build.
The canopy mould looks like it could be a Mk3b which is a much bigger canopy.......if it came from Nipper Kits it probably is.

Maybe see you at the rally.

Cheers

Stuart

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:51 am

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply. Not being an expert on Nipper canopies (the voyage of discovery continues!!) I have heard stories that there was one canopy variant that was too bulbous and detrimentally affected the airflow over the rear control surfaces? Is it possible that this is a mould for that style of canopy? Or was it something manufactured by an independent supplier at the time? I spoke with Paul at Airweld the other day and he is happy for the information regarding a new production run of canopies to go public. If anyone out there wants a replacement or spare canopy it might be worth contacting him to give him an idea of the level of interest. All the best, Peter

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:11 pm

Hello Nippers,

Thought it was time for another quick update on progress! Repairs to the tail feathers continue with the tailplane repaired and now working on the elevator and the one aileron that I assume was damaged in transit from the scene of its previous mishap. This months big news is that the fuselage has been blasted and etch primed. Hope to get the wings and fuselage 'colour' sprayed over the next two weeks.

All the best, Peter.
Attachments
image.jpg
Fuselage Blasted and Primed
image.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 15905 times
image.jpg
Elevator Repaired
image.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 15904 times

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”