Nipper accident

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
Tipsy Flyer

Nipper accident

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Ex south African Jeff Sharman.
http://www.rgj.com/article/20130213/NEW ... loses-wing
This is Bad news, I would like to know what happened ?

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Re: Nipper accident

Postby G-NIPR » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:49 pm

Thats really unpleasant. I know the aircraft, it used to be owned by Larry at Perth.G-OVAG.
I believe it was the only Nipper in the USA, apart from the derivation known as the Gusty.
I will be watching out for the accident report when it comes out, these things are built incredibly strong and I am shocked that 'a' wing came off. As it is a one piece wing it suggests that a portion of wing came off.
The photos that I have seen also confirm this.
Rest in peace,

Paul
G-NIPR.

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:38 am

Very sad incident.
I have been pursuing the NTSB for info', and had a reply yesterday:
The preliminary report is not available at this time (accident number WPR13FA123). May be available next week.
I will post any info' I get as soon as I am able.
RIP
Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

RobW

Postby RobW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Terrible news. And for me a bit close to home. I was very close to buying G-OVAG when it was for sale, and had the sale of my Skyranger not been delayed the chances are I'd have bought 'AG rather than 'FE. Very interested to see what the NTSB report finds. Sometimes this flying lark stops being fun.

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Tue May 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi All,
Here is a short note from Jeff's wife (Copied from our local aviation web site)

A note from Jeff Sharman's widow Sheila -

I have just had a call from the National Transportation and Safety Board who have confirmed that some remains of a turkey vulture/buzzard were found embedded in the fabric in the wing piece that separated about two feet from the fuselage, according to an expert at the Smithsonian Museum and that they have concluded the accident to be a direct result of that. The dead bird was found nearby and we suspected that from the start.

I am very upset right now and feel like going out and shooting every turkey vulture that I can find, but in all reality when we are in the air we are in their territory so I will get over that. There is some closure in knowing what happened and some relief in knowing that he did nothing to cause the accident. He had maintained the aircraft meticulously and he rarely did aerobatics and never in this area. He didn't have a chance.

I thought I would let you know because you have been so supportive throughout all this.

Kind regards,

Sheila

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Tue May 21, 2013 5:24 pm

Thank you for posting that, I have been concerned for the Nipper owners, but it is "small change" for Sheila. I am sure I speak for all of us if I were to send condolences to her and anyone close to Jeff.

Aviation & Life is a cruel sport.

Be safe.

Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Sun May 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks for the update Neil. A tragic accident, but, as Sheila rightly says, we share our domain with those that were there long before us and no doubt will still be there long after us. The chances must have been so remote when you consider the size of the Nipper, yet these bizarre circumstances happen.

Obviously I join you, the forum and the aviation community in passing my condolences to Sheila and her family.

Peter

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”