Advice wanted on buying a Nipper

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
Peter C

Advice wanted on buying a Nipper

Postby Peter C » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi,

I am a new forum member living in Sweden. I am considering purchasing a Nipper which is part way through a ground up restoration here. The aircraft is at the assembly phase after the wings and fuselage have been painted. There is a zero time VW 1834 engine for installation.

I have some experience of Jodels and Cubs but no experience of Nippers. Does anyone have advice regarding any specific problems / pitfalls I should be investigating when I view the aircraft? Are there any difficult to get hold of spare parts for example?

I should be OK at 5'.7", but what is the maximum height for a pilot to fit confortably in a Nipper?

Thanks in advance,

Peter C

G-ARBG

Re: Advice wanted on buying a Nipper

Postby G-ARBG » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:30 am

Peter,
The Nipper is a very safe aeroplane, easy to fly and capable of simple aerobatic manoeuvres. If fitted with a correctly set up original Rollason Ardem (albeit modified 1834cc) there should be no problems with the engine once you have developed a technique for starting it. The thrust line is however quite low and starting requires care particularly if you are not familiar or confident with hand swinging.

Regarding spares it sounds as if the aircraft is complete but you may wish to check if anything is missing before purchase. There is support for Nippers from a company here in UK (Airweld). Common problems are original tyres which are no longer available but wheels can be modified to the 400x4 (Toste) type to overcome this. Canopies are also no longer available at this time.

You will need the owner’s handbook so that you have as much information as possible including weight and balance and the correct control surface movements both of which are important.

There are many aficionados of the Nipper so advice from many sources is always available. My reply is by way of offering you encouragement. You will not be alone if you go ahead and purchase the aircraft.
Regards,
David G-ARBG

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 am

Hi Peter

Welcome to the Creche!
You should be OK at 5' 7" although not sure of max head room in a standard Nipper. I'm 6' 4" but my Nipper has the modification of the seat back reclined by a couple of inches...makes all the difference. Weight can be a problem, keep it as light as possible. MTOW 340kgs (748lbs) and for aerobatics 311kgs (684lbs)
Should you need a copy of an owners handbook, I have it as a PDF document, PM me your email and I will send you a copy.

Regards

Stuart

Peter C

Postby Peter C » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks David and Stuart. I am planning to look at the aircraft on Sunday so will check the things you suggested. I will report back if I decide to buy and finish the restoration.

Regards
Peter

Peter C

Postby Peter C » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:27 pm

Well I purchased the aircraft. Tipsy Nipper Mk2, SE-FUT is now sitting in my hangar and a pile of parts is sitting in my shed at home. The aircraft has not flown since 1974. A ground up restoration was started in the 1990's, but the previous owner didn't have the time to finish it, so he sold it as a 75% complete project!

The remaining work is FWF, plumbing, electrics, fairing/cowling and assembly. I am considering Leburg electronic ignition (not approved yet in Sweden as far as I know), new disc brakes (the originals are discs very dished) and an effective silencer (mandatory noise test for experimental class aircraft in Sweden).

I expect I will have many questions as the restoration progresses.

Peter
SE-FUT

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Hello Peter,
Welcome to the world of Nippers and congratulations on your purchase! I am in the middle of a ground up restoration myself having purchased G-CORD as an accident damaged project. Have just stripped and test loaded the wing and had the fuselage repaired so hope to start the recovering work by the end of the month. I am sure you will find everyone on the forum very friendly and helpful in sharing their passion for the Nipper. Good luck with the restoration. Peter

wilyflier

Postby wilyflier » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:34 am

Hi
Any body know of wherabouts or contact number for G_ATUH

Ive been trying for 3 years now

Thanks
V .H.

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”