Cockpit size

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
CL215

Cockpit size

Postby CL215 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Dear Friends

I am a Danish commercial pilot, who has been interested in the Tipsy Nipper for many years.

Hopefulle, I will be able to import one to Denmark within the next five years.

However, I would like to find out whether, I can fit into a Tipsy Nipper once and for all. I am 182 and
broad shoaldered.

In January 2014, I am planning to stay 3 weeks in the UK - close to Nottingham. I would be grateful,
if could make an appointment with one of you guys and see, if I should look for another aircraft or go
for the Tipsy Nipper.

Cheers

Soren Fonss
sorenfonss@gmail.com

G-BLMW

Re: Cockpit size

Postby G-BLMW » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi Soren

Welcome to the Nipper crèche.
I assume 182 is not you age Laughing should that be 1.82 metres tall?
What you will need is a Nipper with the tall pilot mod ie: the top of the seat is reclined by about 50mm. My Nipper has this and I am 1.9m tall and weigh about 89kg and I fit ok. Weight is an issue for aero's so you will need a Nipper with a low empty weight.
I live near near Peterborough which is not all that far from Nottingham and you will be very welcome to try my Nipper for size unless someone else closer to Nottingham kindly offers.

A word of warning, once bitten by the Nipper bug there is no known cure, I've had my Nipper for 26years Shocked

Best Wishes

Stuart

CL215

Postby CL215 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:57 am

Hi Stuart

We corresponded briefly half a year ago.

I am a Danish pilot, who may be looking at buying a Tipsy Nipper. However, I will have to work out, if I can actually sit in a Nipper.

You mentioned, that I was welcome to see, if I could fit into your aircraft.

Whereabout is your aircraft? I a presently in Cranfield.

Kind regards

Soren Fonss

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Wed May 21, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi Soren

My Nipper is based at Crowland airfield, its a gliding site NNE of Peterborough. Its marked on the charts.
If you would like to come and have a look just let me know. Send a PM then I can give you my contact details.

Best Wishes

Stuart

Stevec

Postby Stevec » Sun May 25, 2014 10:22 am

Hi Stuart

I would be interested to know if your aircraft is a mk2 or 3. I have the same vital statistics as you and am just embarking on a restoration of a Mk 2, I think, with the more upright frame at the back of the cockpit. I have tried Neil's nipper for size and had no problem at all but he had the more sloping frame of the later models and I have been wondering if I should make this as a modification as well as the standard tall pilot mod.

Rgds Steve

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Mon May 26, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi Steve

My Nipper is a 3b which I believe is the Slingsby variant. It has the sloping frame and the bigger canopy.
I guess if you don't have the sloping frame but do the tall pilot mod (raking the seat back) your head would be in the turtle deck Shocked (I think).

Rgds

Stuart

Stevec

Postby Stevec » Mon May 26, 2014 10:24 pm

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the info I suspect you are correct. I think I will look at modifying the turtle deck and sloping the first frame. I have to say I was surprised to find I could sit quite comfortably in Neil's aircraft which does have the sloping frame.
Thanks again

Rgds Steve

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”