Large Pilot

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
Monty

Large Pilot

Postby Monty » Thu May 12, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi,

Having previously considered buying a Nipper a few years ago, when the Eurostar I part own was possibly going to be sold, I'm now looking at replacement aircraft again as the Eurostar is definitely going early in July.

My weight has now increased to approx 100kg at 6' tall, as I spend a fair bit of time at the gym, I'm presuming my extra kg's will make a Nipper out of the question but just thought I'd see if anyone of a similar weight has experience of owning one??

Stevec

Re: Large Pilot

Postby Stevec » Sat May 14, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi Monty

While I don't have flying experience I am restoring a nipper at the moment. I am 6' 3" and 90 kgs and have sat comfortably in a nipper with the tall pilot modification. I suspect the MK 3 with the raked back canopy may make for more room as that was the one I tried. The only problem I have is the aerobatic weights and will have to confine myself to cruising in the nipper unless I can find some way of flying an aerobatic sortie with 10 litres of fuel or thereabouts.

Rgds Steve

JimCrawford

Postby JimCrawford » Wed May 18, 2016 10:18 pm

Hi Monty,

I have a Mk 3 Nipper with the extended rudder pedals and, as I'm quite small at 5ft 5in, I cannot reach them and will have to return them to standard! I believe you should have no size problems with the seat back and rudder pedal mods incorporated. Best bet would be to find one and sit in it.

As for weight and balance, I've made up a spreadsheet to take in all the Nipper parameters and, with my aircraft as an example:

from measurements:
Empty weight, including batteries and unuseable fuel 468.6 lb
Empty CofG aft of datum: 11.04 in

from PFA ops limits:
max take off aerobatic 684 lb
max take off utility 748 lb
forward CofG limit 14.30 in aft of datum
aft CofG limit 16.50 in aft of datum

my limits that I work to:
min take off fuel aerobatic 16.2 lbs (45 minute flight no reserve)
min take off fuel utility 27 lb (45 minute flight + 30 min reserve)

inspecting the plots, which I don't know how to publish on here.

A 220 lb pilot can take off at utility weight with full tank (54 lb) and 5 lbs of 'carry on'.
A 220 lb pilot will land with the CofG just inside the aft limit with zero fuel.
A 200 lb pilot can take off at aerobatic weight with min aerobatic fuel, 16.2 lbs.

Jim

Monty

Postby Monty » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Sorry for the delayed post reply ... its been a busy couple of months.

Thanks for the info and advice... it's a tuff decision as at my weight as I don't feel I'm going to get the best out of a nipper, but I still keep coming back to wanting one!

The Eurostar went a couple of months ago and I've not flown since, I've had a look at a couple of possible aircraft with my flying partner, a Bolkow Junior and ARV super 2, but for one reason or another the right thing isn't coming along and the nipper is always at the back of my mind. Help!!

Tinoco

Postby Tinoco » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:04 am

Moenty wrote:Hi,

Having previously considered buying a Nipper a few years ago, when the Eurostar I part own was possibly going to be sold here is Crazy bulk I'm now looking at replacement aircraft again as the Eurostar is definitely going early in July.

I'm about your size and I fly it just fine so you should be ok too.
So checkout legal steroids that work and start making gains.

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”