Canopies

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
biggles

Canopies

Postby biggles » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:16 pm

Is the a source available today

... if not is anyone on the case?

CAT

Re: Canopies

Postby CAT » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:35 am

Hi It's always the same problem....I have a modul/form for making canopies by
Mecaplex in Switzerland....I know that the price is expensive. Contact Neil Spooner
if he has news about the order for canopies ?

Tanti saluti
Charles HB-SPQ

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:50 pm

Charles,

Is your modul/mould for MKII & III or IIIB version? I sighted the canopy mould for the MKIIIB last week and could obtain it for those interested.

I also presently hold the jig for main undercarriages and have started to manufacture a complete leg assembly for a Nipper owner. Everything takes time, not simply in manufacture but in identifying and refurbishing jigs and fixtures. There is also a huge learning curve to overcome, particularly when we attempt to manufacture a fuselage, as we intend to do soon.

David G-ARBG

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi All,

I put a tremendous effort into getting an order together for canopies, but gave up due to lack of interest and commitment.....I bought the last one (I think) from NK&C. Good luck finding someone who will form one for you, the only supplier I could find that seemed able and reliable enough to do it was mecaplex, no one else in the UK seemed able to form a canopy that size. There are some enlarged ones about, that various people have fitted and then removed, they are very big and very ugly.

It would be great news David to hear that a fuselage supply could be made, good luck with that. A thought on the build of the fuselage, why not use a single diagonal brace tube in each bay rather than the piano wires? More simple and longer lasting, for those built with the turnbuckles and corner flanges I doubt the weight is much different, and certainly easier to build.

Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

biggles

Postby biggles » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:39 pm

when you say expensive ...how much ?

I think I have found a place to have canopies made and may have a batch done.

Canopies for 3 and 3b and different so looking for some guideance.

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:47 pm

Hi Neil,
That idea with the single diagonal brace tube in each bay, crossed my mind in our bracing wire discussion but due to the fact that i'm not an engineer, the idea was shelved. I personally think it is better than all the bracing wire and turn buckles etc, or have i missed something Very Happy
Ooo and complains of the season to all Laughing
Regards
Glen

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:58 am

Mecaplex canopies were working out a £1000 each plus carriage and duty for one offs, I got it down to £680 each (plus duty/carriage) if a batch of 6 were made, that was about 9 months ago.

Bob Reece of Rematic used to make them, but he has stopped making canopies now.

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

biggles

Postby biggles » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:18 pm

i think i have a source for 3b canopies

The price is not confirmed but about £550

Anyone interested?

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:07 am

Fantastic, well done. I am not in need of one now having just fitted an new one.......but well done on sourcing.

I would be interested to know who it is, as I searched long and wide to find a supplier.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

biggles

Postby biggles » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:08 am

For a variety of reasons including until I get a canopy made, sometime in the next month or so, i would like to keep the "where" to myself

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:46 pm

Good luck, hope it turns out well.

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:44 am

Biggles,

In reply to your last, yes the mould is the one currently held by Alan.
It is one of the items which I am planning on picking up shortly as part of a soon to be announced formal arrangement with NK&C Ltd.
I propose to check the mould against my spare MKIIIb canopy and see if it is dimensionally correct and therefore suitable for purpose.
Some of the later MKIIIb canopies have proved difficult to fit due to inaccuracies with the profile particularly adjacent to the fuel tank.

David G-ARBG

PB

Postby PB » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:16 am

If you are thinking of building fuselages with diagonal tube bracing, there is an approved PFA mod to do this in the aft two bays. I am not aware of it having an a specific mod number but it is the subject of a letter to me from John Tempest dated 15 January 2002. I can let you have the drawings, calculations and copies of the letters if this helps. I also have a related mod for moving the shoulder harness attachment brackets aft to give a better angle.

I have both mods on G-BRIK.

Pat Blenkinsopp

Postby Pat Blenkinsopp » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:26 pm

Biggles,

I would be interested in a canopy once you have had it made and checked it and reported back to us on you verdict.

Fuz now has its final colour on and the wing is in silver just waiting for rubbing down and top coats. (Getting quite excited about it all!!!) Very Happy

Thanks very much for your trouble.
Kind regards,

Pat

Daniel V Gonzalez

Postby Daniel V Gonzalez » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Greetings,

we are repairing a Tipsy Nipper Mk II back to flying condition, but we are finding it impossible to find a canopy. I've read that there is a Mk IIIb provider, but I don't know if this model can be somehow modified to be mounted on a Mk II.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”