Brake discs

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
G-ARBG

Re: Suspension rubbers

Postby G-ARBG » Thu May 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Robert,

I believe the rubbers sold by NK&C Ltd are modified trailer suspension units. I have made enquiries for the cost of producing new rubbers to the original Neiman rings specification and have found a company who have quoted a price of around £150 per set. Minimum order 10 sets.
The alternative appears to be to modify the spools to accomodate bungee cord but I can find no details of this modification although I believe it is incorporated in one aircraft already.

David G-ARBG

Ripley

Re: Brake discs

Postby Ripley » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:09 am

David , I am overseas on business so time is limited but I did see an article on the site somewhere in which the author mentioned he had alraedy used bungee and I am sure if you investigate it is the "piper cub" bungee's that are sold in the LAS catalogue , not sure of price . Owner used large washers of some sort if I am not mistaken to make sure the bungee did not jump off the spools . Have a search if you have tiem would be interesting for all owner I am sure . RiP G-ENIE

Ripley

Postby Ripley » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Has anyone got any new disks out there ? I would also like a picture of any none standard installation , maqybe bike brake calipers etc , anyone ? RiP Genie robert.ripley@proceq.com

DesH

Postby DesH » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:06 pm

Will be down in Perth doing some work on my Nipper this weekend Ripley so will try to get you some pictures of my capliers etc.

Ripley

Postby Ripley » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Hey Des H thanks for that it would be much appreciated , I have alraedy bought one Halfords caliper just to take a look and see if it can be moded .RiP

JimCrawford

Postby JimCrawford » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:33 pm

I'd like a peek at the 'Halfords' solution as I think that within a couple of years I may have to go down the Tost hub /400x4 tyre route.

Jim

Pat Blenkinsopp

Postby Pat Blenkinsopp » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:17 pm

Ripley, I will try to get some better photos of my bicycle hydraulic brakes
and home made discs next time I am at the hangar.
They are Magura devices and they work extreemly well, also the
pads seem to last for ages.
Regards,Pat
ASXI

Pat Blenkinsopp

Postby Pat Blenkinsopp » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:22 pm

Forgot to mention, I recently bought a calliper (hydraulic) for my bike
from the local bike shop (Hayballs in Salisbury) and it cost £45 including
hand brake master cylinder and disc. It is a brand called Clarke and looks
to be very adaptable for Nipper use. It will require extra hydraulic pipe and
a tee piece but the are available as spares form bike shops and on line.
Cheers, Pat

Ripley

Postby Ripley » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks guys , it seems that the BIKE route is the way to go . If anyone has any pictures they are welcome and if I can fix something up I will document for the other guys as more people seem to be looking for a more modern set up and the bike stuff especially the cable operated is not expensive . RiP G-ENIE
robert.ripley@proceq.com

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi Pat/Ripley,

Please include me in on any details.......the cable ones work, but not that well.

Thanks,

Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Ripley

Postby Ripley » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Just had two blank disks plasma cut this week out of thicker material , so I will fit these for the mowment with original calipers and stage two will be mountain bike calipers later . RiP
Attachments
Blank disc's.jpg
D:\Personal\MY DOCUMENTS\Tipsy Nipper\Blank disc's.jpg
Blank disc's.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 14180 times
Blank disc's.jpg
Blank disc's.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 14176 times

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi Ripley,

Just a thought.......the reason the original discs tend to distort (dish) is that the temperature gradient across the disc from the working section to the centre is so large the outer gets hot and the inner doesn't. To reduce the possibility of dishing it is preferable to cut away as much of the centre as possible, if you can get them back to the laser cutters it may be prudent?

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Ripley

Postby Ripley » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:07 am

Niel the brake project on hold this weekend as when I fitted thenm the cables then needed chaning to give more lenght . As you are aware I am actually still teaching myself to fly G-ENIE so I needed air time in preference to brakes . When I had the things stripped down I lined up the Bike calipers and this seems to be a simple project but obviously not just a couple of hours .
Are there any posts reagrding the Niemen rubbers bungee's , like where you get them and how you fit them , or alternatives ?
Sorry for the lenght of reply but many questions when you are just setting out as a Nipper person I guess ? RiP ( call me Rip Niel I prefer this nickname )

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:25 am

Hi Rip,

Good luck with the flying, I still find the Nipper is such a pleasure to fly, unfortunately I have been without mine due to the 2180cc engine change, but hope to be flying again soon.

I will be suprised if the cable operated Mountain bike brakes are much better than the original, if they are set up correctly, the hydraulic version should be much better.....

Here is the link to the u/c bungee issue, it will get you up to speed as to what is possible and is going on: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=296&p=1363&hilit=bungee#p1363

Absolutely no problem posting Q's, it is what this forum is all about, between us we have a mass of knowledge, it would be rude to keep it to yourself.

Good luck,

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Ripley

Postby Ripley » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Niel , what is happening with you are you fitting the "AeroVee" engine from Sonex ? I would love to take a look at the installation sometime , where are you located ? RiP

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”