VW Jabiru Aervee engine weights

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
richard

VW Jabiru Aervee engine weights

Postby richard » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Has anybody got a rough weight of the VW and Jabiru intalations in the Nipper? I have looked through my planes paperwork and cannot find anything. The 80hp 2100cc Aerovee is about 161 lbs with everything.
Many thanks Richard

G-ARBG

Re: VW Jabiru Aervee engine weights

Postby G-ARBG » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:08 am

Richard,

Standard Rollason Ardem 1600cc as fitted in Nipper Mk III weighs 158lbs (Janes). My two Lucas SR4 magnetos and mounting plate weigh 13lbs

R.

david G-ARBG

richard

Postby richard » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:57 am

Thanks David,
I think that an AeroVee engine would fit into a Nipper, you would get more power and have a starter. From what I can gather the engine mounts etc are the same.

Richard

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:06 am

Hi,

Take a look at the Great Plains website, they give weights for the 1834 and 2180cc engine.

Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:43 pm

The Aerovee looks wonderful. Can the Nipper accomodate the space required for the inlet manifold and ancilliaries behind the engine without moving the whole engine forward? Big issue for me is the availablity of a starter.
Have just asked LAA to consider small modification to allow MKII Nipper to use Leburg system without having to modify engine mount spacing. This would be a step towards easier starting. If agreed will keep site posted.

David G-ARBG

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi David,

I am running Leburg on my engine, you may have to reduce the height of the spacers, as it is very close fit on the back of the engine/firewall. Refer the mod' to G-ONCS. If you have any trouble I can send you a copy of my paperwork. I doubt the Aerovee engine ancillaries will fit. I would also think that the weight would be prohibitive, especially with a battery large enough to turn it over.(The batteries used with the Leburg system are very small) A very big "gotcha" is maintaining a viable weight so you will stay within the weight limit and minimum fuel for aero's. With a 188lb pilot the window is quite small.

On the subject of in-flight starting: I am in the process of developing a decompressor for the VW. This will allow you to restart the engine in-flight. I will keep the forum posted on any developments.

For weights of VW engines:

http://www.greatplainsas.com/sclgblock.html

will give a bunch of different weights for different spec's. Long Block kit weighs 121 lbs without accessories. If you use the alloy cylinders you reduce that by 10lbs.

All the best,

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

richard

Postby richard » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Dear David and Neil,
I fear you might be right about the lack of space behind the AeroVee, I have spoken to the importer and might have some answers next week.
Cheers Richard

jja66uk

Postby jja66uk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:22 am

Hello Richard

I just came across your post while trying to find some information about the Aerovee myself. Did you ever get an answer from the importers?

Thanks

John

Ripley

Postby Ripley » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:43 pm

Neil , so much talk of " Leeburg" but what is happening I can not find a telephone or e mail contact that Henry replies to , any contact from your end ?

Also where diod you buy the circlip pliers from to remove the crank circlip , cant find any of correct size RiP Cool

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:01 am

Henry has "gone to ground", he has not communicated with me or anyone else that I know of, he is now living somewhere in France.

If you are looking for an electronic ign' setup then this looks every bit as good or better than the Leburg, but you will have to get it passed by the LAA:

http://www.imfsoft.com/hardware/produkt ... on-cdi.asp

My snap ring pliers are Snap On, but a brief search on ebay has come up with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Armstrong-Loc ... 513wt_1344

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Ripley

Postby Ripley » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks Neil , I have e mailed the ignition guys see what the say , would be a good project with more time! especially with the other Nipper on the way !
Found pliers at " Cromwell tools " only £20 for a big set .
Looks good to fly at weekend , maybe breakfast at Fenland ? RiP Very Happy

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”