Pedals

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
richard

Pedals

Postby richard » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:31 am

Has anybody extended or put a crank into the foot pedals to gain a little leg room? Seat mod has not been done on the aircraft. (and I dont rearly want to cut into a lovely aircraft to do it). Many thanks Richard
G-AVTC

G-ARBG

Re: Pedals

Postby G-ARBG » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:17 pm

Richard,

There is an 'approved ' modification that can be done to the rudder pedal which give some improvement in leg room. The dimensions to do this are available from Nipper Kits. If carried out incorrectly this can lead to restriction of rudder movement as pedal will foul on nose leg rubbers. (see photo)

David
Attachments
XLI orig interior & Rudder Pedal 02.JPG
XLI orig interior & Rudder Pedal 02.JPG (180.69 KiB) Viewed 7366 times

richard

Postby richard » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:33 pm

Thanks David,
Could the pedals be cranked outwards to avoid the rubbers? Or do they just foul if they are made too long?
Many thanks Richard

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:58 am

Richard,

Picture gives some idea of extended pedal found on my a/c (about 50mm) This was limiting rudder movement even after fully adjusting turnbuckles so I removed pedal and had it correctly re-welded to pattern from my other Nipper. I actually thought that all later Nippers such as yours had the longer pedals[attachment=0]rudder pedal as found.JPG[/attachment] fitted but I could be wrong. However its worth checking if you can increase your leg room by adjusting the pedal turnbuckle or the two fulcrum positions at the base of the pedal.
Can't lay my hands on any drawings or mod details so unfortunately can't help further. suggest you ask Alan Ayles (or PFA) for further details. Raymond Kuypers may also have some details - See web for Raymonds Restorations for contact details.

R.
David
Attachments
rudder pedal as found.JPG
rudder pedal as found.JPG (489.74 KiB) Viewed 7293 times

markmb2

Postby markmb2 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:48 pm

Richard,

I couldn't help spotting your post regarding AVTC. 'TC' has lengthened rudder pedals, or did when the restortion was completed 3 years ago. I wish I had done the seat mod before I covered it as I found the seat most uncomfortable for my 6 foot frame. As David suggested, you will limit the forward travel of the pedal if they go much longer.

Regards

Mark

richard

Postby richard » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:51 pm

Dear David and Mark,
Thanks for your replies. TC does have the longer pedals, but I was in another Nipper and it did not, and as result I could not fit in. Problem now solved.
Thanks Richard

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”