tires 4,95 x 3;5

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
patrick

tires 4,95 x 3;5

Postby patrick » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:51 pm

hi, new on this forum , my name is Patrick , question is about old tires on tipsy of a friend in france that are well craked on sides and not more available for future landings, so aircraft is grounded. i think taht tires have to many years of sun, cold , out of life whe can say.

i read on other post that it is very difficult to find that kind of tires . please anyone tell me what means 4,95 and 3,5 , because whe know new normes (standart) as for 400 X 4 ,

4,95 is a little number as 400 is bigger , do you have explaination ??

tks in advance

Best regards

p wadsworth

G-ARBG

Re: tires 4,95 x 3;5

Postby G-ARBG » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:37 pm

Patrick,

The Dunlop 4.95x3.5 (6 ply) is no longer available. This tyre was used on many Slingsby gliders. Some Nippers are flying using a military tailwheel tyre of the same size but being 8 ply it is much heavier. Unfortunately I do not know of a source for these either.
One solution is to contact Toste (Germany) and purchase 400x4 wheels and ask for them to be fitted with 6005RS bearings which will fit on your friends axles, and with a little modification the brakes can also be made to fit. They will need to know the width of your existing wheel. Toste also supply the tyres and tubes for these wheels which are rated for glider and aircraft use.
I propose to go this route when I finally run out of original tyres myself.
What is the registration of your friends Nipper?

David G-ARBG

patrick

Postby patrick » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:47 pm

hello , tks for answer, we will now report to 400x4 tires . the tipsy is located in france, Pont sur Yonne , gisy les nobles airfield, owner is pierre barbot and aircraft is or exactely was registred F-PKVC but since one year, i have established a ultralight registration for that iarcraft, so now is 89 VC ultra light aircraft, another registration for ulm .

tks for answer , best regards Patrick

OO-WBR

Postby OO-WBR » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi Patrick,

Has your tire problem been solved?

Would it be possible to send me some photographs of the Nipper with it's new ultralight registration?

thanks

Willem
willemronge@scarlet.be

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:14 pm

Hi Patrick,
I have a question regarding your spats.
Have you noticed an improvement in speed? If so by how much please?
Where did you get the spats from, or do you have a mold?
Regards,
Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”