GAVTC - new owner, new home, new questions

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
JimCrawford

GAVTC - new owner, new home, new questions

Postby JimCrawford » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:45 pm

I've recently become the owner of GAVTC and the Nipper is currently living in the Windrushers hangar at Bicester. The bad news is I am very likely to have to move at the end of December. Plan A is to derig the wing so that the aircraft can be stored in a small storage area I have that holds my Taylor Monoplane and Mirror dinghy. [Toys R Us!] After dropping the belly fairing to take a peek it looks as if the derig consists of:
1. removing canopy to a safe place.
2. disconnecting aileron cables at base of stick
3. demount aileron pulleys on fuselage to free up aileron cables
4. disconnect tacho
Then it is 'just' a matter of the four wing bolts to release the wing.
I'm not too bothered about losing the use of the aircraft for a couple of months as I will just bring forward the annual, however - Plan B;
Can anybody give me a lead on possible strips in the Oxford area I could operate from? If necessary I would erect a tunnel hangar.

One more question. My Nipper has the extended rudder pedals mod. Unfortunately, being a short ar$e, I can't reach them! The Nipper is too big for me! Anybody know of a mod for adjustable pedals?

Regards

Jim

G-ARBG

Re: GAVTC - new owner, new home, new questions

Postby G-ARBG » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:06 pm

Jim,
I'm forever de-rigging mine and find it easier after removing the canopy to unlock and release aileron cables outboard at the bellcrank leaving balance cable in place. You will need to release the turnbuckles when replacing the wing and re-doing the control deflections anyway. Cables should withdraw through root end easily. I also remove fuel tank and step to avoid accidental damage. Sounds obvious, but ensure you have secured a strong piece of string to both bellcrank and cable end to facilitate removal and crrect replacement of cable!
The wing is heavy so have a couple of tyres ready on the floor to rest it on. Disconnect tacho (amongst other things) and remember that the pitot head can also be easily removed to prevent it being damaged. (it can be removed by undoing a couple of small retaining bolts behind the removeable access underside and sliding assembly out.
If you can't move the pedals back any further have them retro-modified to original drawing. (see picture attached)
David G-ARBG
Attachments
PICT0065.JPG
PICT0065.JPG (701.16 KiB) Viewed 4813 times

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”