TIP TANKS.

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
G-NIPR
Site Admin

TIP TANKS.

Postby G-NIPR » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Hello all,
I am hoping to get Tip Tanks fitted to NIPR in time for the rally in September.
So far all is looking straightforward and we are following the original Slingsby mod number 7 , an option that was available at purchase. It should give me another 28.5 litres useable , so nearly two hours extra.
I wont always use it of course but will make the longer trips a bit more do-able.
Any experiences of fitting or flying with them would be gratefully received.

Paul.
G-NIPR.

Ps: I have been unable to get hold of Alan Ayles lately , anyone else had any luck?

DesH

Re: TIP TANKS.

Postby DesH » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:18 am

Alan Ayles has been very hit or miss over the last few months Paul, keep trying him and you'll get him eventually !! I believe Nipper kits is in the process of being bought out so should hopefully be better service in the future.

As for flying with the tip tanks no special advice really, obviously make sure they are fully drained before doing any aeros. Even if you fly until they're dry (engine splutter) you'll probably find one almost totally empty and the other with about 5 litres left in it, that was despite my best efforts flying with the ball in the middle. Having the extra weight that far outboard would make aero's very 'interesting' to say the least !

What have you done for vents in the tanks out of interest ? Mine has a couple of inches of solid plastic tubing attached to the vents sticking up into the airflow with small cutout sections in the back, apparently there were problems with the standard vents sucking some fuel out and this was the cure, might well be mentioned on the mod already?

Regards

Des

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:11 am

Hi Paul,

The idea of running, or almost running a tank dry on an a/c without starter motor "curls my toes".......I have 3 gal' tank mounted under my main one which is pumped into the main tank by a Bendix 12v pump.......no changing of tanks to worry about. The mod' is approved, so getting LAA approval shouldn't be an issue and could be done in advance of the job, so it won't ground you. You are welcome to copies of all the paperwork.

Just had a thought.....have you Leburg or an alternator?

Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Spot

Postby Spot » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:38 am

I spoke to Allan Ayles 2 weeks ago - he said ring back on 11 October - when (hopefully) the situation with NK&C will be resolved Confused

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”