Rudder pedal to nose wheel cable Nipper 36

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
ben

Rudder pedal to nose wheel cable Nipper 36

Postby ben » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:24 pm

Could someone tell me the total distance between the hole in the rudder pedal and the hole in the steering arm when correctly rigged. I appreciate that there are various fittings etc in addition to the cable or wire but if I know the TOTAL distance I can sort out the rest.

Many thanks

Ben

Neil Spooner

Re: Rudder pedal to nose wheel cable Nipper 36

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi Ben,

The lengths are very dependant on the rudder pedal set-up you have, some have lengthened rudder pedals (as mine has) to accommodate different leg lengths, many of the Nippers have been made to measure for "personal fit". May I suggest you work from setting up the rudder cable (pedal to rudder) length to suit your leg length, ensuring you have the correct full rudder travel, then make your pedal to steering yoke cables to suit. I have the Rudder/Fin mod', and my pedals are lengthened, so I may give you a wrong dimension. There are normally turnbuckles in the pedal to yoke cables for adjustment.

Here's a photo if it helps.

Neil
Steering cables.jpg
Steering cables.jpg (124.26 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

JimCrawford

Postby JimCrawford » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:17 am

I'm not sure about Neil's reply.
My Nipper is, as far as I can tell, 'standard' and the geometry of the pedal pivot, rudder cable attachment and non adjustable stop does not allow you to reposition the pedal by adjusting the cable length. The gross cable length is set by this geometry with fine adjustment available via the turnbuckles. Cable length, stop position and pivot position set the rudder throw. Consequent shift in pedal position is in the realms of 'what you see is what you get'.
Unfortunately my Nipper has the long pedal mod and I am such a short ar&e that I cannot reach the pedals when central, let alone full throw! I have a mod scheme for adjustable pedals which I will offer up to the LAA in the fullness of time but in the interim does anybody have a set of standard pedals they could loan? I am using personal carry on blocks until I can get the mod sorted. I don't want to go permanently to short pedals as that would prevent taller pilots from flying it.

Jim

GAVTC

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Jim,

My Nipper has the standard pedals so I can give you the dimensions and a sketch. You have my contact details so give me a call. I found it quite simple to have mine returned to standard. I used Airweld (near Winchester) for the welding.

David G-ARBG

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”