ZS-UDT fuel pump ,carburettor & compufire

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
jantar

ZS-UDT fuel pump ,carburettor & compufire

Postby jantar » Sun May 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi all UDT is alive and well. Due to a fall from a ladder I made relatively little progress in last 6 months BUT am happy to report that the original Zenith carb (minus choke spindle & butterfly) allows my 1835to static run up to 3000 no problem! Wise reflection however promps me to backtrack a little. .My alternator does not feed enough for the Compufire below 1600 rpm.so I will reistate the mech fuel pump and change the compufire for another system. Can anyone help me with my fuel pump ? It is SEV marque mounted on the VW plastic pedestal/pushrod,-----can anyone identify this pump (French)by original application or number and more important where can I source diaphram etc? A standard VW pump would serve but they dont have a primer lever. I am sure there is a wealth of information out there!

G-BLMW

Re: ZS-UDT fuel pump ,carburettor & compufire

Postby G-BLMW » Tue May 08, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi Jantar

Its an SEV 46C and they were fitted to Renault Dauphines. Spares are as rare as hens teeth, I doubt you will find any as I went through the same excercise a few years ago. I did find a pump that fits (well you just have to ease the fixing holes as the centres are very slightly different). Its a QH (Quinton Hazell) part QFP79 and its been fitted to my Nipper since 2003 and it works fine suppling fuel to an Ellison throttle body Very Happy .The connections are push on and have to be crimped with 'O' clips which are best wire locked across the pump. Incidentally this pump does not have a prime lever but I have found I don't need one.
As for the zenith KLP carb, I had one fitted to my Ardem when I uprated it to 1834cc, it was not man enough for the job. May I be as bold to suggest you find an alternative.... will save you lots of problems in the future re performance and spares Sad .

Hope this all helps

Stuart

jantar

Re: ZS-UDT fuel pump ,carburettor & compufire

Postby jantar » Wed May 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Thank you Stuart for the identification etc. I am contemplating an aftermarket VW mech pump also without primer. I note your comments on the Zenith and have a Stromberg 150 and diy manifold without heater ready but am reluctant to proceed just yet as so much extra work is involved. Have the following website for
the Zenith WWW.Ruddies-Berlin.de but have not contacted it yet. Thank you so much.

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”