alive and well

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
G-ARBG

alive and well

Postby G-ARBG » Wed May 09, 2012 10:18 am

G-ARBG showing new exhaust system and cowlings. Stock exhaust by CTK is inexpensive and effective in making engine a lot quieter. Cowlings are moulded from original MK II patterns slightly modified to suit Ardem engine. Finally new MK II canopy (acquired from Switzerland) is to be fitted to complete the aircraft which it is hoped will fly this year.
Attachments
033.JPG
033.JPG (337.63 KiB) Viewed 4769 times

AdamS

Re: alive and well

Postby AdamS » Wed May 09, 2012 10:18 pm

She's looking very good - keep it up!

Can I ask how much you paid for the canopy? I need one for G-AVKI ( is there much difference between a Mk 3 and a Mk 2 canopy?)

Regards

Adam

G-ARBG

Re: alive and well

Postby G-ARBG » Thu May 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Adam,
My canopy was a ‘left over’ from an earlier batch and I was very lucky to obtain it after meeting a Swiss Nipper owner at AeroFair, Friedrichshaven. There are some firms manufacturing canopies but if you want a new one you may have to start by finding a mould.
The MKII and standard Slingsby MK III canopy would appear to be interchangeable as the canopy frames are similar. The MK IIIB canopy with its rearward leaning frame however is not just longer but has a different profile (wider) and does not readily fit the MK II frame. There is one instance where this has been overcome with difficulty using an autoclave to heat the canopy to adjust the profile of the 'glass’ to the frame.
The Nipper owner who recently did this is Ben Faulkner who obtained his MKIIIB canopy from NK&C Ltd. If you contact Ben I’m sure he will help you with some advice.
PM me if you think I can help further.

David

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”