BUNGEE APPROVAL

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
Neil Spooner

BUNGEE APPROVAL

Postby Neil Spooner » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:48 am

Hi All,

As some of you may be aware I had been working on getting a replacement approved for the Bungees on the Nipper. I did a load/displacement test on a spare fuselage I have, and found the 1080HD bungee as used on Austers and other a/c to be a suitable alternate. Rob Weller was to be the first test a/c, but he has had a new Nipper (the flesh & blood kind!) with other distractions also, so was unable to see the trial through. In the mean time RiP followed through doing the first installation and test flights on his Nipper. The LAA has now approved the mod' and further a/c should be able to repeat the mod' without much trouble. Thanks go to RiP for finalising the mod' application, and Rob for paying for it!!

I made a tool which is essential to fit the bungees, as the 1080HD is too strong to fit without. A video of fitting the bungees and using the tool can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bf6xhwF ... ature=plcp
Make sure the a/c is lifted clear of the ground and suitable support is placed under the wings to prevent the a/c tipping over.

The bungees are available via LAS: http://www.lasaero.com/site/products/ar ... =B03A1AXE5 and are £21+Vat each.

Any Q's drop me a line.

Regards,

Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Ripley

Re: BUNGEE APPROVAL

Postby Ripley » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi everyone , I am overseas at present but will put the minor mod number on the site by the end of the week to make application easier for all .
G-ENIE feels firmer when taxiing on grass with the new bungees , landing seems no different .
I have made probably 8-10 landings now both on grass and Tarmac and even a couple of heavy ones , but all seems OK and the bungees still sit correctly and no chaffing .
The problem is we all still need Niemans for the front end , which is a problem . Maybe Niel will try to find some other alternative to fit up front and then either him or I can test fly !
I also have made a version of Niels tool and would be willing to help anyone if they can fly in , I don't really want to loan the tool , but could help with manufacture if any one wants his own . RiP. G-ENIE. In Bedfordshire 01234834646
Cool

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Well done Neil.......I don't know where you find the time!! and also RIP for the test flights.
How many bungees are used, I am assuming one per side of the bobbins? I will need to replace mine before permit renewal (next year).

Regards

Stuart

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:34 am

........affirm', two bungees per a/c.

Once Rob has finished with the tool I am happy to loan it out. No fee but a deposit of £50 returned after I receive the tool back in good order less the postage outbound.

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

RobW

Postby RobW » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks Neil / RIP - that's great news. As well as struggling to find time, I had been reluctant to get on with it just in case the aircraft was grounded while the LAA reviewed paperwork etc (I'm trying to sell so didn't want that at an inopportune moment). Now I know it will be relatively straightforward I really should just do it!! I'll do so asap to free up Neil's tool (thanks Neil - sorry it's been so long, I owe you more beers!)

Regards,
Rob

RobW

Postby RobW » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Finally - I've got round to fitting the bungees!! After suspending the rear of the aircraft from the hangar roof it was relatively straightforward using the tool, though with all that stored energy I did fear for my life winding the thing out!! All went without a hitch - a big thanks to Neil and his tool!

I just need to contact LAA and get a signature - don't worry Neil there's a local inspector (who has an aircraft in the same hangar) who has agreed to sort me out.

PS Neil - I've just been on the phone to Fred Hambley (ex owner of 'FE) - he sends his regards!

Regards,
Rob

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi Rob,

Great, pleased you have finally got it done. Please feedback how you feel they are working. Glad the tool worked ok.

Fred is a lovely chap.....I should have bought FE off of him, it sold for a very good price (for the buyer!) although the engine did require some work.

All the best,

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

RobW

Postby RobW » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:51 pm

Andy Draper has given repeat mod number 13004, expected to be approved by the end of the week. Mod 11 form needs to be submitted to proceed. Seems to be some confusion over use of 1080 or 1080HD - his email suggested that the standard cord (not the HD) should be used. Can anybody confirm?

Thanks,
Rob

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi Rob,

The tests were done on 1080HD, not on 1080.

Regards,

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

RobW

Postby RobW » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 pm

Can you believe I'm still waiting for LAA to give me permission to proceed with this mod!!?
Apparently they are confused as the prototype mod was started on one aircraft and completed on another. So my Mod11 form has been ignored and the matter passed to Francis Donaldson. I'm still waiting. Can't say I'm impressed, but I'm not entirely surprised. A local club member was grounded for 9 months whilst LAA considered a minor seat mod in his Pitts. Another was told outright that all mods are discouraged... Sigh...
Bring on single seat deregulation for all....

This sort of thing is partly why I'm selling her because I can't justify the expense and hassle - and I only managed 10 hours in 'FE all year!!

Rant over! I shall continue to chase, and let's all hope for a better 2013!

Regards,
Rob

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 am

Hi Rob,
I will drop Francis an email to see if there is anything I can do.......no, I am not surprised either, I am still waiting for my Op' Lim's sheet to be amended (to include flick rolls), he has only had it nearly 2 years.
Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

RobW

Postby RobW » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks Neil - don't worry, I have had email and post from Francis and he's helpfully sorted everything so that it's all now very straightforward. He sent me the paperwork that goes with the mod, and it appears that the testing was done with 1080HD as well as 1080Std, and the standard cord was a closer match to the Niemann rings. So for anyone considering the repeat mod - please note it is for standard 1080 bungee rubbers NOT the HD type.

Regards,
Rob

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi Rob,

I did send him an email, but got no reply.

That is interesting, who did the tests on the std 1080? I didn't.

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

RobW

Postby RobW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi Neil / All - sorry I've been 'offline' for a while. Finally got time to get 'FE serviced and Permitted (only flew her 8 hours last year Sad )
Re: Bungee mod - all performing well, with the Nipper standing tall (for a nipper) in the hangar! I will return your tool soon, sorry it's been so long - with beers of course! Or if somebody else is champing at the bit, please let me know and I will post it to them.

The paperwork sent to me from LAA included a report from Neil Dykes that included load / deflection curves for 1080 and 1080HD (perhaps these were interpolated/extrapolated/scaled for 1080?). They are compared to the Niemann deflection curves and the 1080 appears to be a closer match.

'FE still for sale if anybody interested!! Needs to go soon as our hangarage fees have doubled and I'm about to move house!!

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:31 am

Hi Rob,

Thanks for letting me know about the load/deflection test on the 1080 bungees, I was unaware of this test. If 1080 are closer then we should use those, but if the 1080HD works for you that is also fine. Someone has been using 1080HD for some time before the approval was granted, so that was the prime reason I also pursued the HD option.

I will need the tool back at some time, there is another Nipper owner in need of it, but no panic.....a good excuse to fly up to Priory! My permit has just expired, so need to spend some time on the inspection.

I had long chat with a prospective buyer of FE, it sounds like the perfect mount for what he wants to do.

Hope to see you at a Nipper get together before you sell.

All the best,

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”