Project news

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
G-ARBG

Project news

Postby G-ARBG » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:33 am

One of the final tasks of this rebuild, the fitting of the canopy, is now in hand. Following advice from fellow Nipper restorer Ben Faulkner, I used a Black & Decker power file to trim the canopy to shape which proved to be easier than anticipated (photo).
David G-ARBG
Attachments
nipper canopy fit 032-3.jpg
nipper canopy fit 032-3.jpg (933.6 KiB) Viewed 7931 times

Neil Spooner

Re: Project news

Postby Neil Spooner » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi David,

What frame are you going to use? The 4130 tube frame I made is light and fits really well. It is made and bonded as per glider canopies, with a few bolts backing up the bonding. I know you are trying to keep original, but the std Nipper frame/seal is horrible, flexible, and leads to cracking of the canopy. A pic' of mine below.

Where did you get your canopy from please?

Regards

Neil
Attachments
Canopy3.jpg
Canopy3.jpg (203.87 KiB) Viewed 7830 times
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi Neil,
You're absolutely right about the original Nipper canopy frame being rather unsatisfactory so please post more details of how you went about manufacturing yours. I have not started to assemble the perspex to the frame so any new ideas are very welcome.

Regards,

David

ps I've just received back from Skycraft my spare Leburg units which have been modified from 'internal' to 'external' type making it worthwhile considering whether to refit them on 'XLI in place of the Lucas mags.

Regarding exhausts, I am still 'playing about' with standard bends and have yet to agree the final layout with CKT Ltd but if successful it could be a welcome solution to making the aircraft quieter for many Nipper owners particularly if it enables the radio to be heard!

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi David,
The frame was made from 7/16" 4130, I can't remember the wall thickness, but is doesn't need to be heavy, as the complete assembly provides the ridgidity. I heated and shaped the tube to reflect the shape over the wing and turtle deck, then brazed the pieces together. I don't have any good photos of the latching mechanism to send now, but will take some and post them. Once you are happy with the fit of the frame and canopy attach the canopy to the frame using bolts. The frame once complete and satisfactory fit were bonded to the canopy using a polyesther resin slurry made with resin and micro balloons. Mask the canopy so the slurry won't get onto the canopy where it is not needed, and lightly abrade the canopy where the slurry will go. Mix the slurry and put it into a small plastic bag, cut a small corner off of the bag and us it like an cake icing bag. Put masking tape around bottom of the canopy to stop the slurry "falling through" Fill the void with the slurry and wait till cured.
Hey presto!!
.........and good luck!
I don't know when I am next over to the plane as I have another major project under way, but will post the pic's as soon as I can.
Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi David

Niel's canopy fit is great......wish I had done mine that way. I did my canopy fixing the old way with 6BA screws and nuts and rubber tube in the canopy holes......what a nightmare!! and the rubber seals keep cracking Sad .
Quick question, where did the canopy come from??

Incidentaly, did you sort out your exhaust, I still have those papers on silencing if you want them, pm me your email.

Cheers

Stuart

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:36 am

Hi Stuart/David,

I would also be interested in the silencing info'. Although mine works very well, I have had a few "comments" that it is loud.

I also would like to know if canopies are back in production, not that I need one at the moment!

Regards,

Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”