Wing attachment bolts !!!!!!!!

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
Ripley

Wing attachment bolts !!!!!!!!

Postby Ripley » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Good evening everyone ,

Does anyone have a spare set of new wing attachment bolts going spare ?
I hope none of you ever need to replace your wing attachment bolts either because they are damaged or because they are corroded from maybe being inside your wooden spare for 30 years maybe .
The reason is these bolts are not manufactured as standard by anyone in the world , in fact bolt suppliers laugh when you say you want a 5/16 BSF bolt , with a grip length of 9.5 inches , with rolled threads and cad plated .

To get a set of two made to the spec. Approved by LAA you are looking at one supplier , a price of £600 plus and 6 months delivery !

So good luck if you ever need any and hence the reason I am begging for any that you may have laying around , but if it were me I and I had a set I would hang on as they are as rare as rocking horse s_ _ t . RiP Sad

Stevec

Re: Wing attachment bolts !!!!!!!!

Postby Stevec » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:55 am

Hi
I can't offer spare bolts but I have had a quote from Paul Grellier for the bolts. Stainless steel with rolled threads £30 each and if you want them CAD plated £49.50 each with a 12 week delivery.
Steve

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Rip,

for information only -
New wing to fuselage retaining bolts have not been available for many years and to overcome this problem were superceded by studs threaded each end to Slingsby drawing D.T66 W2073 dated 30/8/68. These would have been manufactured with rolled threads using slotted and plain AGS nuts to substitute for the bolt head. The material specification is not clear on my drawing and would have to be confirmed by LAA.
This system is fitted on my Nipper G-AXLI
R.
David G-ARBG

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:45 pm

Rip,

For information only -

David G-ARBG
Attachments
IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0654.JPG (2.66 MiB) Viewed 10561 times

Ripley

Postby Ripley » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:35 am

David thanks for the info , my fault as I rushed along to get some bolts so I could get in the air and that's what has happened actually finished up paying £428 , but at least by August I should be in the air again . I have used 8mm threaded rod to hold wings in place for ground runs and general check work and can slip the million dollar bolts in when they arrive !
David you have told me before I know , but I forgot , getting old is terrible , but where are you located , Cornwall or East Anglia ?
May be we should compile a register of all Nipper owners locations and details ? RiP Very Happy

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:26 am

Hi Rip,

Pleased to hear that you got your bolts sorted.

G-AXLI is based Watchford Farm (near Dunkeswell, Devon). G-ARBG remains at home near Shepton Mallet (North Somerset).

David 'RBG

Ripley

Postby Ripley » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 pm

David I am sure you sent me pictures and details of jet sizing etc for Stromberg carb , I canb not find the pictures and how did you arrange the throttle linkage or is is self explanitary on the pictures if I can locate them . I guess you have LeBurg , did you fit it yourself ? RiP

Ripley

Postby Ripley » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:01 am

Good day every one , new bolts ( with heads ) made by Bruntons , had to mortgage the house , wing back on and inspected . However it now seems that the " tie rod " approach is acceptable but should be made at Bruntons with rolled thread to the Slingsby drawing . Need any info on new wing bolts call me first before you commit !
If you have wing bolts with heads I would take them out once a year and have the head inspected with crack penetrant or magna flux , one of mine had a crack 3/4 away round under the head , and could be fatigue because I can not see how else the crack arrived ! robert.ripley@proceq.com

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”