Extra fuel tank

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
Peter C

Extra fuel tank

Postby Peter C » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:16 pm

I am considering installing an extra fuselage tank in SE-FUT and will need to submit a mod application to EAA Sweden for this. The extra tank seen in the pictures of G-ONCS looks like a practical solution to give another hour of range. Neil do you have any more details (e.g. drawings) that I could use as a basis for my mod application?

Below is a picture of SE-FUT with the wing temporarily mounted for display at our flying club's recent open day.

Regards
Peter
SE-FUT
Small.jpg
Small.jpg (84.76 KiB) Viewed 13067 times

G-BLMW

Re: Extra fuel tank

Postby G-BLMW » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi Peter

Nipper is looking good, what engine is fitted?
Sorry I don't have any tank details, Neil is you man. My Nipper has just the standard tank.

You also want to know about the rudder bungees. When I go to the airfield at the weekend I will give mine a quick measure.

I was looking at your Nipper photo, does the wing have the triangular stall strips on the wing inboard leading edge? I can't see them on the photo Sad

Keep up the good work

Stuart

Peter C

Postby Peter C » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi Stuart,

The engine is a 1915 cc VW conversion which was built by a Swedish company called Trimco. You are right about missing stall strips. I noticed this once I got the project home to my hangar. My guess is that the previous owner missed installing them when he recovered the wing. I plan to manufacture and install new stall strips as per the Nipper drawings.

Thanks for the offer of help with the bungee sizing.

Regards
Peter
SE-FUT

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Peter

Re stall strips, if you have Nipper Kits and Components drawings the stall strips are shown in the wrong position. I built my wing to their drawings and didn't discover the error till all had been finished.....very annoying. I will check through my info and reply when I have the rudder bungee details.

All the best

Stuart

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Hi Stuart,

I apologise, a little of topic on this thread, but, could you PM me the stall strip info as well please? I was just about to commit to the NK&C drawings as well !! Where is this 'different' position documented? Many thanks.

Peter

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi Peter

Apologies for late reply.
See attached photo's. Stall strip is measured from rear face of spar (ie the one that you look at when sitting in the cockpit). No drawing I'm afraid but I got the measurement off other Nippers. Bungee shown is free length with no tension (give of take a few millimetres) and is 1/2" diameter (sorry about the mixed units!).
Sorry about the bugs on the leading edge.......I did clean them off Very Happy
Hope this helps

Stuart
Attachments
IMGP2593.JPG
IMGP2593.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 12682 times
IMGP2590.JPG
IMGP2590.JPG (917.73 KiB) Viewed 12700 times

Peter C

Postby Peter C » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:33 am

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the pictures and information. I have the 1/2 inch cord and hooks and will make the rudder bungees as you suggest. Thanks also for the measurements for the stall strips. I will fit these once I get nearer to final assembly.

The engine came out last weekend so that I could lift the aircraft for replacing the Niemann rings. Made my own version of Neil's undercarriage tool and fitted the 1080 rings as replacement. Thanks Neil for the video of now to do this! The engine will shortly be stripped for a corrosion inspection and then it will be FWF installation and electrical wiring.

Regards
Peter
SE-FUT

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:39 am

Hi Peter,
Sorry for the late response, I have only just found your original post.
The fuel is pumped into the main tank after 1hrs flying time, but even if there is not enough room in the main tank the fuel will recirculate between the two tanks until transfer is complete. This way there is no need to switch between fuel tanks which could cause an accident in the case of forgetting to switch over.....in a 'plane with no starter I think is crazy.
Herewith the photos of the aux' fuel tank. I can email you copies of the mod' paperwork if you pm me your personal email address.
Regards
Neil
Fuel tank bottom 2.JPG
Fuel tank bottom 2.JPG (2.58 MiB) Viewed 12453 times

Fuel tank bottom (2).JPG
Fuel tank bottom (2).JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 12420 times
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:48 am

However!! I was in the process of developing an alternative until restoration of my boat got in the way....
There is room to fit a triangular tank onto the bottom of the main tank between the fuselage tubes. Keeping the floor of the original tank and installing an inverted stand pipe to allow the fuel to flow into the bottom tank whilst erect, and prevent return of the fuel to the top tank when inverted. A stand pipe (erect) to allow air to vent into the top tank from the bottom with a ball valve to prevent the fuel draining into the top tank when inverted. Fit a flop tube in the bottom tank.
With this arrangement there is no need to have the weight of a transfer pump, no need to switch between flop tube and main tank, no need for two fuel fillers, minimal weight penalty. "Simples". I have not patented it, but it is my idea!!
This a mod' that will be included in my next Nipper project!
Neil

Bye the way, what prop' are you using Peter?
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”