Mecaplex canopy

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
Neil Spooner

Mecaplex canopy

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:24 am

Hi All,
I have been asked by Charles to post these pic's of his Mecaplex canopy along with this text:

My Canopy have a Mecaplex finish in a glider style with
2 windows.You can see on a picture a "canopy restraint cable"
and a reinforcement in steel.
The actual price for this canopy his more than ...2200.--pounds
We dont't speak about the same thing....
Merci et bonne soirée
amicalement
Charles

Aviation 005.jpg
Aviation 005.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 18268 times
Last edited by Neil Spooner on Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Neil Spooner

Re: Mecaplex canopy

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:24 am

Tipsy-hélico-St.Nazarro 007.jpg
Tipsy-hélico-St.Nazarro 007.jpg (253.28 KiB) Viewed 18394 times
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:26 am

Tipsy-sion.JPG
Tipsy-sion.JPG (3.04 MiB) Viewed 18131 times
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:27 am

Vol 4.12.04 034.jpg
Vol 4.12.04 034.jpg (240.44 KiB) Viewed 18058 times
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks for those Charles, your Nipper is looking very nice as usual!!
Regards,
Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:35 pm

Gents,

I have been in contact with Mecaplex, in Switzerland, to establish the current prices for Nipper replacement canopies. The first point is that Mecaplex do not have a mould so that would have to be supplied to them. Consequently, they would produce whatever mould was supplied, Mk3 or Mk3b?

I requested prices for a production run of one, four and five canopies to get an idea of the economy of scale from more orders. The requested design was for clear 3mm perspex with a single sliding window, but, no air vent in the sliding window.

The prices were quoted in Swiss Francs, but, essentially equate to the following costs:

One canopy - £1700
Four canopies - £1155 each
Five canopies - £1080 each

I know Neil and others have done a huge amount of work on this in the past, but, would it be possible to PM me or respond on this site if you have a genuine interest in buying a new canopy at these prices. Mecaplex would require payment in advance and delivery time is quoted as 8-10 weeks from receipt of the mould.

Meanwhile other parties, based in the UK, continue to strive to produce replacement canopies.

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:25 am

This about the right price via Mecaplex. May I suggest a quote without the window? I use two perspex vents in the wing root windows which provides plenty of ventilation in the summer.
I would have thought we could increase the order quantity easily provided Airweld come on board.
Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

JimCrawford

Postby JimCrawford » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:58 pm

The Mecaplex sliding DV panels are humongously expensive if bought as spares ~£90 for the rails alone! Certainly worth a quote without panels. Note, however, that these panels are described as DV panels and are supposed to allow you to maintain control if the canopy is obscured by ice, condensation (or oil?) not just for ventilation. Gliders use them because the canopy cannot be opened in flight, as per the Nipper. Gliders do however have the ultimate option of jettisoning the canopy. There is a cheaper DV panel which is very similar to the Mecaplex, the differences probably to avoid directly copying the Mecaplex. It is however not robust in operation, I've seen the problem on Glider canopy.

Jim

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:22 pm

.....DV....on the side of the canopy in a Nipper! Laughing
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:58 pm

Gents,

The prices quoted by Mecaplex for the 'window' option are CHF125 for the sliding window and CHF52 for the rails which equates roughly to £85 and £35 respectively. So the prices for the basic canopy without the sliding window are:

One canopy: £1580
Four canopies: £1020
Five canopies: £945

However, did not mention in previous post that these prices are ex-works and do not include delivery to UK.

I would emphasise that it is not my intention, by posting this information, to set one 'manufacturer' against another. Merely to establish a reliable and economic supply of Nipper canopies for the future viability of our aircraft.

flyweld

Postby flyweld » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi All,
Regarding canopies from Mecaplex, having spent a not inconsiderable amount of cash on research and materials for my forming oven I am afraid I would not be willing to buy canopies from Mecaplex, we are hoping to have the first usable canopy ready around mid March for approx £800.00 ish less if I can.
I will keep you all up to date on progress.

Paul
www.niperaircraft.co.uk
www.airweld.co.uk

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:17 am

Hi Paul,
Good luck with the canopy manufacture, from what I found out its a pig of a procedure as the canopy has some pretty large changes in form. Are you using a Mk3 mould so that all the ones you make can be cut down to fit a MK2? Are you using a standard mould, or are you producing one wider than the std? The local perspex manufacturer declined the opportunity to make these.
Regards,
Neil
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

flyweld

Postby flyweld » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:30 am

Hi Neil and all,
We plan to make the Mk3 to start with and then as you said they can be cut down to fit others.
Paul

www.nipperaircraft.co.uk
www.airweld.co.uk

flyweld

Postby flyweld » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi All,
The forming oven is now taking shape with the inner chamber just about finished.The 3 phase heaters and control equipment is ordered and should be here in the next 10 days we have the circulating fans, internal lights and the viewing window glass all ready to install as soon as we complete the insulation outer frame. jockthenipper visited today and has taken pictures that I am sure he will post on here.
More news asap

Paul

www.nipperaircraft.co.uk
www,airweld.co.uk

jockthenipper

Postby jockthenipper » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Hello, ......... No sooner said than done!
Visited Paul today because of my vested interest with the rebuild of G-CORD. Wanted to check my fuselage profile against Paul's mould and my old damaged canopy. In the process Paul was keen to show me his new oven. Couldn't really miss it actually, as it takes up a sizeable space in the workshop!! In case you think I was inebriated when I took the pictures, the oven is lying on its side at present during the fabrication process. I hope my next visit to Airweld is to collect my new canopy!! Thanks for the hospitality Paul and good luck with the oven.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 17572 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 17574 times

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”