Strombergs and other stuff

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
Ripley

Strombergs and other stuff

Postby Ripley » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi its me again , you can see how bored I really am , when I return to the UK I have a couple of jobs on GENIE . Can any one shed light on the jetting sixes for Stromberg 150's , I have seen all the installation pictures which are great and I have a box full of good 150's but all are from cars and I have no idea where to start the jetting at or even can you still get jets ?
Second I have just about finished the mod to fit an oil temp gauge ( I know every one says it deleted and you don't need it ) Ok maybe but I would still like to monitor what happens with the magic liquid , what do your temps run at if any one has a gauge ?
My cylinder head runs at anything between 300-350 in cruise and 400 on full power climb ( I think that is F ???? )
Also one more thing I am interested in , I have a new Leburg under the bench , but have two engines to build , does anyone know if it is possible / legal to run one mag and one leeburg ? RiP GENIE

Stevec

Re: Strombergs and other stuff

Postby Stevec » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:35 am

Hi
To answer your last question first it should be possible to run both the Leburg and a magneto. The magneto can be driven from the rear of the crankshaft and the Leburg can be triggered from the rear of the prop hub. So theoretically both will work but you will just have to make sure there is a way to get both firing at the same time. If you can find a way to drive the magneto from the rear of the crankshaft you can trigger the Leburg from the rear of the prop hub using the trigger disc. You will really need to find a way to drive an alternator as well as it may not be a good idea to run the Leburg just from a battery. Legally I see no problem with it as the Aerovee uses two different types of ignition, electronic and Briggs and Stratton , and the LAA don't seem to have a problem with it.
The CD 150 I used came from a Hillman hunter and I used it on an 1835 VW. We spent ages chasing the perfect needle for it but in the end a guy who used to work on Hunters said put the original needle back in it and after 10 mins he had it tuned perfectly. You can spend a lot of time chasing your tail if you keep trying options. We had even turned up our own needles.
As far as an oil temp gauge on a VW I believe it's a good idea as the oil provides so much of the engine cooling. The CHTs you mention , provided the gauge is good, are not bad but I would probable look at a shallower climb to get some more airflow through the engine as the 400 is a bit high.
Hope this helps
Rgds Steve

Ripley

Postby Ripley » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:34 am

Hi there Steve in NZ , I am on my way home to UK to get some air time in . Thanks for reply and as far as Leburg goes I believe you are correct . One engine already I have made an alternator adaptor for the crank , so what I am doing is putting Leburg dual on one engine and have found amongst all my crap in the workshop the pulleys from a double cam belt drive system , so I will service two of the best mags that I have and use them on the other engine . I am sure that timing etc will be much easier with two completely individual drives . What I have decide since reading your reply is to look inside all the CD150's I have and see if there is a pattern to what inside them all and come up with a conclusion .
Oil temp mounted in the screen plate is next /first job when I get home .
Have you guys had any problems with wing bolts in NZ ?
How many Nippers have you got over there ?
keep in touch , RiP ( ripley2809@gmail.com ) G-ENIE

Stevec

Postby Stevec » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:33 am

Hi

We have no nippers here at the moment apart from my pile of metal bits. There was a Nipper here many years ago ZK-CAP but after a couple of mishaps it ended up in Aussie and I believe its on the British register now. I decided to rebuild the Nipper as it was an aircraft that was around when I learned to fly in Southampton and I have always thought it a neat little aircraft. I have built a couple of wooden aircraft from scratch so making a set of wings will not be a problem. I was very luck to meet up with Neil and things have fallen into place nicely.
As far as the bolt problem goes I have recently bought a set of brand new ones from Nipper Kits etc. I see from the LAA article on it the bolts are well above what is required but to my uneducated mind they are the last thing I want to take a chance with.
I have spent a fair bit of time working on various VW aero engines so if I can be of any further help please feel free to ask.

Rgds Steve

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”