Help with wing rib drawing

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
Stevec

Help with wing rib drawing

Postby Stevec » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:44 am

Hi guys
I am working my way through constructing the wing ribs and have a question about ribs 1 left and right. At the end of each rib next to the spar I cannot make out if there is a solid spruce block next to the spar or quite what there is supposed to be.It appears from the plan that the ends are hollow which does not make sense. If anyone has constructed a wing from scratch or repaired ribs 1 I would be grateful for any help you can offer.
The plans are proving to be a bit of a challenge with a lot of detail missing and although they say they are to scale it appears some drawing are freehand and not to any particular scale at all. I have also found a few numerical errors in the table of offsets for the ribs which resulted in a bit of head scratching
I am also not 100% sure of the angle of the vertical next to the spar. There is no mention on rib 2 , which is the typical rib, of an angle but elsewhere in the plans it says that the angle is 88 degrees 40 mins. I have decided rightly or wrongly that this is the correct angle rather than 90 degrees hopefully it is correct.
IF anyone can help I would be most grateful.
Rgds Steve

G-BLMW

Re: Help with wing rib drawing

Postby G-BLMW » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi Steve

Just picked up your post, hopefully I'm not too late. Having built a wing from scratch perhaps I can help. I know that the Nipper Kits and components drawings are not the best and can lead to frustration.
Ribs 1 left and right do have a spruce block next to the spar, it is there so that you can bolt the aileron cable pulleys on, that's what the holes are for. Unfortunately I don't have a note of the width of the blocks but you can work out a scale from a known dimension. The width is not that critical.
The angle of 88 degrees 40' is the correct angle. All the ribs have the same angle, there is no wash out on the wing.
If you need any more help advice pm me and I will give you my contact details.
Have you built the spar yet or do you already have one?

Hope this all helps and good luck......don't give up, it will be worth it
Regards
Stuart

Stevec

Postby Stevec » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the help very much appreciated. That all makes sense. It is funny how you can stare at the plans for hours and not connect details now you have pointed out the purpose of the block I can see what is going on. I have found a number of dimensions are incorrect and inside dimensions are actually outside dimensions etc so you are correct it does lead to frustration. I am about half way through the wing ribs and have made the nose ribs. I am trying to make up a kit of parts before I start on the fuselage so that I don't have to store the completed wing until I am ready for it. I have had a look at the wing spar and it looks quite straight forward but a bit complicated so will just work through the challenge. I have had to use Yellow Cedar as Spruce is just not available at a sensible price here and most people who have some are reluctant to part with it. The wood meets all the requirements and sits between spruce and Douglas fir in its properties only problem is it stinks.
Thanks for the offer of help I will take you up on that if I have any more problems.

Rgds Steve

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi Steve

Glad to be of help, if you need any more don't hesitate to call/post.
Are you building the fuselage from scratch? If so might I suggest that you put in the 'tall pilot' mod which only involves moving the top cross tube (behind the seat back top) back a couple of inches and putting in a couple of short braces at 45 degrees back to the top longeron where the drag attachments are , makes all the difference for comfort.
If you are building to Nipper Kit drawings I believe that the spar is shown with a definite 'angle' for the dihedral at the root. This is not the case as it should be a gentle curve just like a leaf spring. I have a couple Fairey Avions drawings which show this clearly could send you a copy.
You will also need to build a huge jig to build the laminations.....I think I still have some photos of my build which I could send. Another tip, don't try to drill the mounting holes in the spar in isolation. Accurately fit the spar to the fuselage and clamp in place. Then with a series of drills use the fuselage mounting holes as the jig to drill up thru the spar taking great care not to rush...it worked for me though it was a tad nerve racking.
Where are you building your Nipper?

Keep up the good work.....it took me 3 years from first component to first flight.

Cheers
Stuart

G-BLMW

Postby G-BLMW » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:22 pm

-

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”