Jabiru Engine Conversion

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
jja66uk

Jabiru Engine Conversion

Postby jja66uk » Sat May 06, 2017 9:21 am

Hello

I'm about to replace the VW engine in my Mk2 Nipper with a Jabiru 2200. Could anybody give me advice regarding the installation (engine mountings, cowling etc.)? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John

Dellboy

Re: Jabiru Engine Conversion

Postby Dellboy » Mon May 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi I have just collected my fuselage back from airweld after fin/ rudder, nose leg and bracing wire mods (G-ccfe) so it is stripped down to the bones i'me away until 22nd but any photos measurements you require if I can help be glad to assist

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 am

Hi,
I am under correction, Raymond Cuypers modified a few Nippers to accept the Jabiru engine. Google : Raymond Aircraft Restoration
Email: raymond.cuypers@rar.be
Regards
Glen

jja66uk

Postby jja66uk » Thu May 11, 2017 8:40 am

Hello Dellboy

Thanks very much for that. I think I'm going to have the same work done to mine. It's more expense and the machine will be grounded longer but this seems like the time to do it.
I contacted the LAA and they've virtually no information regarding the Jabiru conversion. One Mod request (MOD 12197) was submitted but it doesn't say very much. Any photographs you could send me would be very welcome and drawings/pictures of the engine mounts would be great. Could you give me the measurements (and photographs) of the new engine mounting points on the fuselage frame? Do you have any idea whether the engine cowlings were custom made or adapted from original Jabiru cowlings?
Would you have any objection to me coming to see your Nipper?

cheers

John

Dellboy

Postby Dellboy » Thu May 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi John,
No problem will get onto that when I return Paul at airweld will probably take a few months to turn it around with there present workload if that's the way you want to go
CCFE was purchased in Belgium by a friend of mine and flown back by a chap on our strip it was immaculate when purchased and I believe converted to jabiru by a friend of Raymond cuypers who worked together on two units this is only what I have been told but cannot prove as the paperwork is a bit sparce prior to import
(Non existant) however over the years and several owners have taken there toll and I perchased it minus engine and rather shabby looking so no choice in making it into a project
You are welcome to come down you probably have more knowledge than I do on Nippers so could pick each others brains I live in the Plymouth area
Regards
Nigel

jja66uk

Postby jja66uk » Thu May 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Hello Nigel

I've had ARFV for seven years now and it's starting to look the worse for wear. The engine has had issues which I've ironed out, but I'm a bit (read very) fed up of the VW and as a second hand (zero houred) Jabiru engine came up for sale at a reasonable price I thought I'd ground the aeroplane and do a fuselage rebuild. Totally uneconomical of course but what the hell. The biggest problem I'm having is finding out the details of the engine mountings so as to get the thrust line etc. right.
Thanks for the invite to come down there, haven't been to that part of the country in years. I'll get in touch after the 22nd and arrange something.

Thanks for the help.

John

OO-WBR

Postby OO-WBR » Mon May 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi John,

I suggest you contact Dave Almey at http://www.sky-craft.co.uk/. When I was working on my Nipper to fit a Jabiru, he overhaul my engine and delivered a new engine-mount and cowlings. I guess he still has the contacts to make another set.

Willem

jja66uk

Postby jja66uk » Mon May 15, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks Willem

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”