Tall pilot mod . Additional fuel tanks .

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
Robbo44

Tall pilot mod . Additional fuel tanks .

Postby Robbo44 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:37 pm

Hello ,

I have bought Nipper G-BWCT , can anyone advise me on the tall pilot mod and additional fuel tanks please .

It is an Avion Fairy T66 , Series 1 , S/No. 11

Kind regards , Roy Targonski

jja66uk

Re: Tall pilot mod . Additional fuel tanks .

Postby jja66uk » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Hello Roy

I'm currently restoring my Mk 2 Nipper around a Jabiru Engine and I can send you a copy of the Tall Pilot Mod (11711) if you like. I can also send you a copy of Mod 12042 to fit an auxiliary tank beneath the main tank (as designed by Neil Spooner).

Mod 11711 involves cutting the cross brace behind the seat and moving it back as well as re-positioning the elevator bell crank pivot to prevent a clash with the seat back. You may want the rudder pedal mod as well but I haven't been able to obtain a copy of that from the LAA as yet (I do have photographs though).

Also take a look at modifying the way the bracing wires are attached to the fuselage frame. If yours is still original, the wires will be brazed to the frame and they suffer fatigue failure and break.

I'm 179cm tall and I flew my Nipper in standard configuration for 7 years before beginning the restoration. I've sat in a modified Nipper and you do get more head room with the seat mod but I think it would mean having to rake back the turtle deck in the same manner as the Mk 3 Nipper and replacing the canopy to make it work. For me the biggest benefit would come from the rudder pedal mod to keep my knees clear of the main spar.

I'd seriously recommend that you find a modified machine and sit in it before proceeding. If you do decide to go ahead it's worth contacting Paul Grellier at Airweld, he can do all the mods and he has the original Jigs.

regards

John

Robbo44

Re: Tall pilot mod . Additional fuel tanks .

Postby Robbo44 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:11 pm

Thank you John ,

A lot of work and for me at 5` 5" , my std . Nipper is o.k.
I have taller friends that would benefit but it is a project for when it requires a re-build for any reason .
Raking back the turtle deck and sourcing a new canopy for it could be a problem ? .
An extension piece on the existing canopy could do the job but not pretty .

If it`s no trouble for you , I would like to see the mod drawings and photos please .

Direct e`mail is ; heliroy44@gmail.com mob ; 07836 348 945

Kind regards , Roy

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”