New lightweight wing.

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
Paul1954

Re: New lightweight wing.

Postby Paul1954 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:03 am

Neil, flaps suggestion cam from Jim, not me.

This thread does sound like the thought process that led to the development of the Acro Advance.

JimCrawford

Postby JimCrawford » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:58 am

Neil,

Yes, flight line not attitude. I must have had a senior moment to have forgotten that. Especially as it was a particularly tricky issue competing in glider aerobatics where the flight line defines the entry speed into the next manoeuvre so has to be set up on exit from the previous right through the sequence. I would guess that this would feature to some extent with the Nipper as, even with a lightweight airframe and perhaps 80hp available, powering through isn't really a big option. Unlike the exotics with 260+hp and wobbly prop!

Have you seen Jim Marske's book 'Composite Design Manual', 'a structural guide to fibreglass and carbon wing construction'?
Full of good, practical stuff and convinced me to look at carbon spars for my Flitzer build.

Jim

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:21 pm

I have not seen the book, hard to come by and quite expensive.
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

JimCrawford

Postby JimCrawford » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:11 pm

Just looked it up on the web

https://marskeaircraft.com/composite-design-manual

$80.00, I don't recall it being that pricey, also there is the postage which was $37.00 in 2021 so you are looking at probably $130 now. However the information it contains is invaluable and very practical and I'm glad I bought it. If I needed to buy it again I would without hesitation. I think it should be readily available from marskeaircraft.com

Jim

JimCrawford

Postby JimCrawford » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:33 am

Could be well worth looking through this very involved discussion:

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/foru ... ing.40086/

I find the information helpful and thought provoking.
Jim

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”