How are your temps and pressures?

Use this forum to discuss technical points relating to the Nipper and its ancilliaries.
G-NIPR
Site Admin

How are your temps and pressures?

Postby G-NIPR » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:20 pm

Hello All,
Now that NIPR is legal again I am back in the air. The new engine has now got 13 hours on it and is purring like a well fed kitten.
I am always keen to monitor the health of my engine and would like to compare t's and p's with you all.
My oil temp has been very low and I have struggled to get it into the 30's deg. c. I have placed a plate over the bottom cowling cooling vent (as it was before the rebuild) and this has had the desired effect. I am now seeing oil temps of around 50 - 55 deg. c.

Here are my numbers from today: (readings taken at 2950 rpm / 2000 ft / OAT 4-5 deg C)

OIL temp: 52 deg C
OIL Pressure: 48 psi.
CHT: 330-350 deg F
EGT: 1250 deg F

How do they compare with yours?
They are pretty similar to before the rebuild.

Cheers for now.

Paul.
G-NIPR

G-ARBG

Re: How are your temps and pressures?

Postby G-ARBG » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:22 am

Paul,
The oil temperature gauge was deleted on production aircraft as from 1967 as being 'no longer required' (ARB approval). The gauge, as you report, never really registered a significant rise in oil temp after starting and consequently was deleted.

quote from 'amendments' 1968 owners handbook - "when oil temperature gauge has been disconnected allow two minutes warm up(more or less acording to ambient and engine temperatures)"

David G-ARBG

Return to “ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE”