New old Nipper

Tell us all about YOUR machine.
jhhturner

New old Nipper

Postby jhhturner » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 pm

I have recently aquired a Nipper from the widow of a friend of mine who died just over a year ago . The registration is G-BRPM and construction started at Glenrothes in 1985 however it has been close to flying for the first time for the last couple of years. After much nagging the late Tom as to why the aircraft was not finished and flying it is now my turn to come up with the goods.
I would be grateful for some help . There were a set of plans but we are having trouble finding them. The aircraft is registered as A T66 Series 3 and appears to have been largely supplied by Nipper Kits & Components . Can anyone help with a set of plans and , in particular , rigging detail .
Lastly , there are a number of tabs welded to the lower longeron that are tapped to take the belly skin . What thread are they likely to be ?

G-ARBG

Re: New old Nipper

Postby G-ARBG » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:51 pm

JH,

The plans you require are the Kit Assembly Plans numbered 01 - 012. These will give you all the detail you need to complete the aeroplane.
The 'tabs' should have three holes in each pre-drilled to accept 4BA captive nuts.

David G-ARBG
01749 841084

DesH

Postby DesH » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:55 pm

If you need to have a look at a Nipper 'in the flesh' so to speak there are 2 of us based at Perth and Glenrothes is only a short hop away for us.

Regards

Des

jhhturner

Postby jhhturner » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Thank you for the offer of a look at your machines.
After much swinging and advice from other VW owners , we managed to get it started today. It runs really well ,with no significant mag drop . What a difference it makes to get the engine going. Its little heart is beating and the smell of warm oil and Avgas fools one into believing that flight is not far away.
The one thing that we could do with help is the wing step. It is partly built and the lower skin is riveted on , but if anyone could scan a copy of the drawings it would be much appreciated . The support around the foot hole is a particular mystery ,as is how the two sprung ball bearings in the wing locate in the flap.

JimCrawford

Postby JimCrawford » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Can I double check that the belly panel bolts are 4BA?

Just making sure that I'm getting the correct ones for the new set!

#6 UNF is very close, close enough for it to be difficult to check if the nuts are a little worn.

BA sizes are a little difficult to source and I may replace all the nut plates with #6

Jim

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:19 pm

Jim,

drawing calls up AGS 2007 B1 anchor nut and AS2230-304 rivets. Try LAS Aerospace 01837 658081

David G-ARBG

jhhturner

Postby jhhturner » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:46 pm

So that would make the bolts 4BA ?

jantar

Postby jantar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi all airframe bolts are BA up to 1/4 inch which are BSF.
Engine bolts are metric. The drawings are for assembling a kit and are little or no use for fabrication but do indicate (in code) bolt sizes and lengths together with washer and nut types The forum is a great source of information.
Good luck Jantar ( another rebuilder)

Return to “THE AIRCRAFT”