Restoration of ZS-UAD, Tipsy Nipper T66 mk 1

Tell us all about YOUR machine.
Tipsy Flyer

Re: Restoration of ZS-UAD, Tipsy Nipper T66 mk 1

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:59 pm

Not much work done this weekend Sad
Still busy removing the paint from the fuselage. Friday started with a visit to the airfield to watch the two new owners recieving instruction on their new Gyro. Saterday started with a run to the airfield in the old car with a short chat to a friend before he disappeared in the distance in his Europa.
IMG_2492.JPG
IMG_2492.JPG (47.36 KiB) Viewed 17522 times

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:02 pm

Site giving me a hard time so loading one pic at a time Sad
IMG_2556.JPG
IMG_2556.JPG (54.06 KiB) Viewed 16999 times

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:03 pm

IMG_2571.JPG
IMG_2571.JPG (72.28 KiB) Viewed 16965 times

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Hi All,
Still scrapping paint off the fuselage, should be finished so!!
David (G-ARBG), remember our discussion icw the tension wires that went missing on my fuselage, well here is the "witness" marks left after the wires where removed Sad
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG (27.95 KiB) Viewed 16882 times

Spot

Postby Spot » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:28 pm

Tipsy Flyer wrote:Site giving me a hard time so loading one pic at a time Sad

What I could do is try setting the forum up to create thumbnail images that link to full sized images, see if it cures your problems and prevents the forum getting "out of shape" when the images uploaded are too wide for the screen format.

However, the forum is set to cater for image/file sizes up to 256 KB each and a maximum of 5 per post.

Let me know if you want me to tinker some more.

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:27 pm

Hello Spot,
For the moment, can we leave it as it is. I'v just installed IE 7 so will give that a test run, might have improved, hopefully! Thanks for the concern, will have to buy you a cold one Very Happy if i end up visiting one day Laughing
Regards
Glen

Spot

Postby Spot » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:40 am

Tipsy Flyer wrote:I'v just installed IE 7 so will give that a test run, might have improved, hopefully!

I'm not on Windows - but you'd be better-off installing Firefox hot topic at the moment Shocked

Tipsy Flyer wrote:Thanks for the concern, will have to buy you a cold one Very Happy

Sounds good to me Laughing

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:27 pm

Hi All,
Well, i'm still at it, progressing slowly Shocked
All the paint on the frame has gone and now i'v started with a rather labour intensive operation. There are a few pieces of tubing around the cockpit area that were repaired using fish plates and i never liked it from day one. I'v just finished fabricating a rather heavy square tube frame that uses the front/rear spar attachment points and the under cart attachment points as the anchor points. This will hold everything square when i remove the old tubing and when the new tubes are welded i place. I will prepare the new tubes and will get a coded welder to complete the job.
I believe the engine mounts on the airframe differ between the MK 1,2 and 3. Can anyone throw a little light on this, please!

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:35 pm

Glen,

The MKIII Nipper has the engine mounts arranged such that a VW crankcase will mount directly to the airframe via longitudinal spacers(see photo).
The MK II mounts however are displaced differently to accept a bell housing carrying the thrust bearing and magneto mounting. This bell housing is resiliently mounted using eyebolts with rubber inserts.
Many MK II Nippers have been modified by removing the original engine mounts and re-welding them as per the MK III thus deleting the need for the Stamo casting shown here.

R.

David G-ARBG
Attachments
stamo backplate 03.JPG
stamo backplate 03.JPG (188.47 KiB) Viewed 16744 times
MkII engine mounts 02.JPG
MkII engine mounts 02.JPG (245.57 KiB) Viewed 17033 times
frame front view 02.JPG
frame front view 02.JPG (168.38 KiB) Viewed 16795 times

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:11 am

Glen,

Regarding above, the second view is of MK II fuselage frame (G-ARBG). Unfortunately I cannot reduce the drawing of the MK I engine mount enough to post.
description: On the MK I the engine attaches directly to the airframe. The fuselage front cross members are penetrated fore & aft with tube inserts arranged to accept the VW crankcase, unlike the 'bridge pieces' which sit on top of the cross members which are visible in the MK II & III photos. The bracing tubes in the top bay of the MK I are arranged to meet in the centre of the top cross member rather than directly in line with the engine mounts to allow clearance for the mounting bolts. Rubber shock mounts were incorporated in this design. (info sourced from copy of original Fairey drawings)

Hope this helps,

David G-ARBG

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Hi Dave,
Thank you very much from the photos and explaination. My Nipper has the hole with a tube through the top cross member. I'm keen to change to the later mountings, will have to manufacture them myself.
One question, would i have to move the top bracing tubes to be in line with the mountings or leave them as they are, in the middle of the top cross member

The saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, in this case a million words!!
Regards
Glen

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:14 pm

Glen,

I'm not competent to advise you on that point but my gut feeling is yes. I can let you have the drawing to show the dimensions of the modified arrangement.

R.

David

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:38 pm

Glen,

Further to above, today I took some photos of a simple method of adding cable braces to the fuselage frame. On receipt of these digital photos I will post them.
I also recently had manufactured some engine mounts of the sort you are contemplating for another Nipper owner. If you need any assistance with the manufacture of these parts let me know.

R.

David

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:05 pm

Thanks Dave, all the info is greatly appreciated.
The photo of the mounts you posted is good enough of me to go on. If you could please give me the wall thickness of the "pyrimids" plates if you have it on hand. I assume the round part of the mounting is solid stock, turned down to the right dimension and the correct size hole drilled through. I have a lathe so this should be no problem.
From the photo, i can see the "pyrimid base" is welded together but is the round bit welded or brazed into place. Why i ask is the "welding" around the top looks very "smooth" as if it was brazed.
I assume i'll have to use 4130 to build the mounts, not ideal to have the engine part company, could ruin a perfectly good day Shocked

May i say, all three Nipper owners in SA are members here and i'm sure are finding all the info you guys are supplying, very useful, Thanks once again Very Happy

Chat latter
Glen

Dave T

Postby Dave T » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:45 pm

Hi Glen

This one certainly is !

BTW, there seems to be a delay on my plans, so not much action right now

Cheers
Dave

Return to “THE AIRCRAFT”