G-ASXI PICTURES POST-REBUILD.

Postby Pat Blenkinsopp » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:30 pm

Dear all,

some random picturesof the post rebuild ASXI

Regards,

Pat
Attachments
optica  and nipper post test flight 024 (Medium).jpg
optica and nipper post test flight 024 (Medium).jpg (67.48 KiB) Viewed 13762 times
optica  and nipper post test flight 023 (Medium).jpg
optica and nipper post test flight 023 (Medium).jpg (109.2 KiB) Viewed 13631 times
optica  and nipper post test flight 020 (Medium).jpg
optica and nipper post test flight 020 (Medium).jpg (116.77 KiB) Viewed 13648 times
optica  and nipper post test flight 019 (Medium).jpg
optica and nipper post test flight 019 (Medium).jpg (126.29 KiB) Viewed 13630 times
optica  and nipper post test flight 018 (Medium).jpg
optica and nipper post test flight 018 (Medium).jpg (108.88 KiB) Viewed 13557 times

OO-WBR

Re: G-ASXI PICTURES POST-REBUILD.

Postby OO-WBR » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:25 pm

looks wonderfull

great job Pat !!

JAB

Postby JAB » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:12 am

Well done XI looks great.

Your fin mod blends in very well too

JAB

Pat Blenkinsopp

Postby Pat Blenkinsopp » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:24 pm

Hi all,

The reference to the Optica in the titles to the posted photos is that they were part of that file. I have been involved on a proffessional basis in the rebuild of the Edgley Optica and we put her back in the air after a downtime of 12 yrs.VERY interesting project: Very complex and tricky to work on, but very satisfying to be sucessful after three large organisations failed to achieve snag free flight. We were ahead on time and under budget. Heres the good bit.....you are all going to be jealous.... I am doing my flight checkout friday week for display and promotional purposes!!!
I am really fired up about this one as it came right out of the blue. Insurance requirements are really stringent and I was one of the few who has enough hours to qualify. Wish me luck! Very Happy
Closer to home , The full rebuild flight test went very well ( no Snags, apart from a bit of over cooling of the oil.. easily cured) and the aeros flight test went very well... Neil.. did 8 spins up to 4 turns each way with no problems at all. Very happy with th rudder fin mod and just need to fit a fixed tab to cure a half ball deflection at cruise speed (2700 rpm for 91 mph ). I really hope that the permit comes through in time to get to the Air Britain fly in as that will be almost to the day, one year since the engine failure and the the precipitation of the rebuild.
People, keep the faith.

Interesting developments in the pipeline..... whatch this space..... Laughing
Regards, Pat

OO-WBR

Postby OO-WBR » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:25 am

Great news about the Optica, always found that quite a strange airplane...

The air-britain fly in was held two weeks ago. (Not that many visitors due to bad weather.)

Willem

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Postby G-NIPR » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:47 pm

WELL DONE PAT!!!!
Congrats on the rebuild, excellent job. Bet the pride in ownership is back again.
I am hoping to do a long-ish trip before the summer is out and will make a point of getting down to see you by air.
Just awaiting arrival of our first born (literally anytime now!) so I will need to see how the land lies after that, but a boy still has to have time out of course! Wink

Stay safe!

Paul
G-NIPR.

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:00 am

Hi Pat,

Well done, it looks great!! Will try to get down to see you in mine. I am still on a PFRC, and am waiting for the Permit.

The Aux' fuel tank is great, fuel transfer of 15L takes aprox' 15 mins. So I can now fly for a couple of hours without having to think about refueling. Since having the Ellison overhauled and setting it up from basics I am now 150rpm better off and quite a few hp. Climb rate at Max all up weight was 750ft/min, at aero's weight 1000fpm.

Great to hear that you are happy with the tail mod'. I offset my fin a couple of degrees, and have not had to fit a tab. I have spun mine a few times now, though I still have to pluck up the courage!!

I shouldn't think there are many Optica's in the world anymore?

"Interesting developments in the pipeline..... whatch this space...." you tease you!

Well done, look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Pat Blenkinsopp

Postby Pat Blenkinsopp » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:07 pm

Neil,
Many thanks for those kind words. I am also waiting for my permit and trying to clear up a little
misunderstanding between Andy and myself. He said it wasnt a problem , just a suplimentary inspection of my battery box mod and the inevitable paper chase!!!
Yes, very happy with the fin/rudder mod and whilst the aerodynamic improvement is only slight, I dont have thr worry of those "weedy" little hinges in the back of my mind. I dont know if I mentioned it but I put in an extra set of hinges in the middle .No hard evidence that these are necessary, just a piece of mind thing.Andy D was happy with the addition. By the way , I think you will be impressed by my gap-seals. I wont bother you with the detail here but it will be better if you see them your self. It involves the use of 10 thou Mylar dafting film...
Fuel tank sounds great. I may incorporate it in the near future.
The Optica flying was AMAZING. I was very privileded to be joined by a stella cast of TP's and seriously good pilots to be checked out on the a/c. Clive Davidson,(Yak display pilot and DA Examiner-Bloody nice bloke as well) Derrick Piggot, (film pilot, Manificent men, Blue max etc) Francis Donaldson (I think we all know him) John O'Hara (Citation II and CAA TP), Howard Fawkes (aerobatic display pilot and one time uk aeros champ).......and little old ME!!!. I felt very humbled to be in such company and seriously had doubts as to whether I could measure up...You know not too much flying whist doing the refurb over the last year.
I needent have worried. I was flying with the CAA Cheif test pilot Chris Taylor (Ex navy Wasp pilot and ETPS Boscombe Down graduate and EXCEPTIONALLY nice bloke and pilot)
I was the last one to fly and we took off into light rain and went off to do the upper airwork. Stalls, S/L,in the turn with flap,approach config etc etc. Did a couple of PFL's that all went very well Chris didnt have to grab the controls once!! Honestly... we then went back to do a couple of circuits and on the first approach and landing we encountered some of the heaviest rain I have ever flown in..Chris asked am I ok to continue and I was and so I did and pulled off on of the best landings I have ever done.We did a touch and go and then had to leave the circuit because of the bad viz .
The upshod of all this is I got to fly for nearly an hour where everone else only got 25 min !!! Pretty jammy Eh!
What an amazing experience. AWSOME view out, quite nice if somwhat quirky handling but not at all difficult to fly. Floats forever in ground effect with 10 Deg flap (despite its weight -1105 kg, empty)
Chris signed me off as ok for transit flying and promo/demo flying but not full blown display flying. That will come later and the aformentioned Clive Davidson is going to coach and examin me on that one (he is a Diplay Authorisation examiner.)
Any way enough of me blowing my own horn.

Keep up the good work . Let me know when you get your permit . We shall meet up
Neil re" interesting developments," could you email me your Mobile and home tel nos. It could be to your advantage.
pat.bsopp@ntlworld.com

Kind regards, Pat

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHS”