LAA Rally 2010. Inverness - Sywell - Trip report.

Please upload your pictures here.
G-NIPR
Site Admin

LAA Rally 2010. Inverness - Sywell - Trip report.

Postby G-NIPR » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Hello all,
I have been meaning to write a trip report of my journey to the LAA rally 2010, so here goes...

Friday 3rd September 2010:

The best laid plans were scuppered by the weather, always a possibility in VFR Britain. However not the usual rain and high winds, this time it was fog. Inverness itself was ok-ish, with around 3km viz, but everywhere South of here was not good at all. EDI and GLA reporting RVR's meant that my chances of getting to my first stop of Glenrothes was nil. I went to the hangar anyway, hoping to be ready for an early clearance of the fog.
The route I had planned was:

1. Inverness - Glenrothes (Fife)

2. Glenrothes - Fishburn (near Teesside)

3. Fishburn - Sturgate

4. Sturgate - Sywell

As always my planning was based around 1 hour - 1 hour 30 min legs, and bias was given to free landing fee vouchers given out by the mags! All PPR had been obtained the day before, and rough etas given, however of course they all went out of the window due to the fog!
I had a slot of 1500 local for Sywell, and that was not going to happen now. A phone call to them told me that slots were flexible and not to worry, just get there when I could. One less problem.

After a bacon butty at the terminal I wandered back to the apron to finish loading (read jamming!) my kit into the Nipper.
I managed to fit in all I needed apart from my trusty chocks, they would have to stay behind.
In all I got nightstop kit for three nights, a sleeping bag, a one man tent, two gps's and 3 half-mil topos! It was a very tight squeeze, but worked.

IMG_7026_800x600.jpg
IMG_7026_800x600.jpg (52.1 KiB) Viewed 13706 times

I finally departed Inverness just before midday, and set off for Fife.

IMG_7033_800x600.jpg
IMG_7033_800x600.jpg (33.68 KiB) Viewed 13691 times

The trip South was pleasant and smooth, I opted to follow the A9 road through the hills rather than fly over inhospitable terrain. This adds around 15 mins to the journey but lots of peace of mind. I managed to keep two way contact with Scottish FIS most of the way, and my estimates worked out well, arriving some 1 hour 15 mins later.
I was miffed to find that Fife were now charging £15 to land, despite uplifting fuel, and despite 'only' being a Nipper.
One to remember.

IMG_7039_800x600.jpg
IMG_7039_800x600.jpg (60.62 KiB) Viewed 13700 times

A quick fill up with fuel and a liquid refreshment saw me setting off again for Fishburn, a first visit for me.

IMG_7041_800x600.jpg
IMG_7041_800x600.jpg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 13715 times

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Re: LAA Rally 2010. Inverness - Sywell - Trip report. (Part 2)

Postby G-NIPR » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:26 pm

Leaving Fife brought the first slightly nervy moment of the trip. In order to avoid Edinburgh CTA and prevent a long winded routing the only sensible way to go is across the Firth of Forth. The water crossing is around 12 miles from Kirkcaldy to Musselburgh, and this avoids all airspace if flown at a low enough level. Edinburgh needed to be told three times my aircraft type, I'm still not sure they got it!
Coasting in brings a sense of relief knowing that if the engine stopped now I would have a least some chance. The route towards Alnwick is very rural with little habitation, a few scattered towns and villages. The cloud base was lowering but still do-able.

IMG_7044_800x600.jpg
IMG_7044_800x600.jpg (21.52 KiB) Viewed 13704 times

IMG_7051_800x600.jpg
IMG_7051_800x600.jpg (32.48 KiB) Viewed 13691 times

Approaching Newcastle I decended to pass under their zone, but spoke to them anyway.
I arrived at Fishburn after 1 hour 35 mins. The strip proved to be very welcoming, with proprietor Beryl walking out to meet me and help me with the refuelling. She runs a cracking little aviation facility with lots of resident aircraft and local visitors. Fresh home cooked food available, and great service. No landing fee for me, she said and I have only positive memories of my visit.

IMG_7053_800x600.jpg
IMG_7053_800x600.jpg (58.78 KiB) Viewed 13701 times

Time was marching on though, and I was concerned that my next stop might not be available. A phone call to Sturgate told me that fuel would stop promptly at five, in fact possibly a little before and they wouldn't extend. I needed a rethink.
I phoned Gamston who said they could help, but wanted £12 to land. If I took 45 litres of fuel though they would waver this. With a 35 litre tank that wasn't happening, and again no discretion to waver it.
Finally I phoned Sandtoft, and the FISO who answered the phone said 'no problem for fuel and no landing fee for buying fuel'
Great, Sandtoft it was then....
Attachments
IMG_7056_800x600.jpg
IMG_7056_800x600.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 13691 times

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Re: LAA Rally 2010. Inverness - Sywell - Trip report. (Part 3)

Postby G-NIPR » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:36 pm

After yet more bacon (well it was lunchtime 2 hours ago), I made my way out from Fisburn avoiding the Teesside zone and headed for Sandtoft.

IMG_7064_800x600.jpg
IMG_7064_800x600.jpg (45.86 KiB) Viewed 13711 times

A bit more to see on this leg, several large cities and towns and numerous airfields to avoid. The military units at Leeming and Church Fenton were happy to provide a service, and before long Sandtoft appeared on the nose.
I had been here before so knew where to park for fuel, knowing time was getting tight I made my fuel request on the radio, and within two minutes of landing the bowser turned up.

IMG_7067_800x600.jpg
IMG_7067_800x600.jpg (59.18 KiB) Viewed 13690 times

Very quick refuel and I was on my way again, the end in sight, next stop Sywell.

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Re: LAA Rally 2010. Inverness - Sywell - Trip report. (Part 4)

Postby G-NIPR » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:47 pm

Phew! Nearly there. Just had to get to Sywell before closing time of 1900 local.
Once settled in the cruise my trusty old Garmin said eta of 1858! I didn't want it to be that tight so I put an extra 100 rpm on and tweaked the route to take out a dog leg. New eta 1849. So much better!
The route towards the Midlands was without drama and the highlight was the entertaining controller at East Midlands who was very matey with all aircraft he worked. He told me he had just googled G-NIPR to show his assistant what a Tipsy Nipper looked like!
The weather had stayed fine and the viz was great. A couple of airballoons were making the most of the calm evening air, and I resisted the tempation to go over a fly around them. No time to spare unfortunately.
Approaching Sywell I listened to the frequency to hear that It was still very busy. Many pilots had not read the joining instructions properly and were making too many rt calls and requesting joining instrutions. The FISO's were doing a good job and just said 'join as per the published instructions'.
I joined overhead Pitsford Water and opted for the grass runway. A smooth landing was needed in front of the crowd of spotters that were wielding cameras, and luckily they got one.
I touched down at 1854 and felt relieved , tired but proud.
Taxiing to the pumps I saw a man in a Kilt striding across towards me, it was Mel from our local strut. Great to see a familiar face so far from home.

IMG_7078_800x600.jpg
IMG_7078_800x600.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 13693 times

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Re: LAA Rally 2010. Inverness - Sywell - Trip report. (Part 5)

Postby G-NIPR » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Got the tent pitched with some help from the Highland strut fellas, and we all went for a very welcome pub dinner and drink.
Life felt good.
I was quite excited about the prospect of camping under the wing and was looking forward to settling in for the night.
It's one of those aviation must do's and something I had been meaning to do for years.

IMG_7098_800x600.jpg
IMG_7098_800x600.jpg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 13699 times

IMG_7100_800x600.jpg
IMG_7100_800x600.jpg (53.92 KiB) Viewed 13694 times

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Re: LAA Rally 2010. Inverness - Sywell - Trip report. (Part 6)

Postby G-NIPR » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:29 pm

The LAA rally was seen by most as a success and I enjoyed my weekend thoroughly.
The entertainment was good, beer prices fair, and enough interesting stalls to pass the time. I bought a couple of bits and pieces but of course was very limited in what I could carry home.
I had managed to persuade Nigel from our strut to put my sleeping bag into his RV4 for the trip home. Much more comfortable for me now.
Other pilots were telling me that the weather was due to change on the Monday, the day I had planned to go home, and in the end I decided to set off on the Sunday just after breakfast. The return journey was planned to be a reverse of the southbound trip, but speaking to others some better suggestions were made. My route would now be:

1. Sywell - Breighton

2. Breighton - Fishburn

3. Fishburn - Perth (To avoid the £15 landing fee at Fife!)

4. Perth - Inverness

I left Sywell at 0930 local along with many others who had the same idea. The weather was fine and I felt ready for the trip. The Nipper was running well with such regular use and I felt relaxed and comfortable, especially without the sleeping bag pushing into my neck.

IMG_7120_800x600.jpg
IMG_7120_800x600.jpg (37.81 KiB) Viewed 13693 times

My strut friends had left in a Cub some twenty mins earlier and were also bound for Breighton.
I arrived first by about 10 mins so must have passed them at some point. Not often you can overtake in a Nipper.

IMG_7131_800x600.jpg
IMG_7131_800x600.jpg (47.05 KiB) Viewed 13709 times

The welcome at Breighton was pleasant, self service refuelling and a lovely cup of tea. A truly great GA airfield. Refusing the offer of a bacon roll this time! I stayed for while and had a chat with the locals, as well as looking at the route for the next leg. Knowing the wind was forecast to strengthen I was keen for the off.

Off to see Beryl at Fishburn again next. The Teesside winds were looking brisk and I was a bit concerned that this was as far as I would get today. The big advantage though was a sporty groundspeed once I was up, seeing 124 kts at one point! Better than the 80 - 90 on the way down.
Short finals into Fishburn proved lively, very lively. I actually bounced the Nipper for the first time ever on landing. The winds was across the runway at around 15 - 20 kts, but trees to the side of the strip was creating wicked rotor turbulance. Pride dented but aircraft fine, I fuelled up and checked the weather further North. No time for tea this time, Beryl.
Not looking good. All the TAF's were showing unflyable winds later in the day, but if I set off quick I should be ahead of them.
I made the decision to go, and was glad I did in the end.

My route on this leg took me close to Kirkbymoorside, the birth place of Slingsby Nippers (Including G-NIPR), and I made for the overhead for nostalgic reasons. I flew around the field for ten mins or so taking pictures of the factory and runway, apprently they now make submarine components. It felt nice to be showing NIPR her old birthplace.

IMG_7149_800x600.jpg
IMG_7149_800x600.jpg (47.43 KiB) Viewed 13685 times

Another trip with impressive groundspeeds meant it didn't take too long to get to Perth. I could feel the winds were getting stronger and this flight was quite bumpy. The approach into Perth was also very bumpy, but with less gusts than at Fishburn and I pulled off an acceptable landing. Sheltering behind a hangar I got refuelled and paid up before setting off for my final leg home.

The flight to Inverness was less bumpy than I anticipated considering the winds, and again was done in record time with good groundspeeds. Arriving at Inverness I hoped to do a bit of beat up before landing, but it was too busy. My wife and daughter were at the the perimeter fence waiting for me.
I had been cleared to join behind a landing easyjet, who I watched closely as he went around after touching the runway. Apparently a wobbly approach in strong crosswinds, and landed long so he threw it away.
Luckily the wind was straight down the shorter crosswind runway and I had no such trouble.
Pleased to be home, I taxied to the hangar and prepared to unpack my kit.

Although It was an expensive exercise and not one to repeat too often I really enjoyed the long trip.
It can be easy to get a bid bored of flying around the local area all the time, and a decent trip like that can revitalise interest. I hope to repeat the journey next year.

Paul.
G-NIPR.

Neil Spooner

Re: LAA Rally 2010. Inverness - Sywell - Trip report. (Part 1)

Postby Neil Spooner » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:40 am

Hi Paul,

Thanks for making the time to post the lovely report, it is so nice to see that so much can be done with a Nipper. The photos are great too. Your Nipper certainly smokes along, even with 76hp and Barry Smith type cowlings I don't make much more speed than you.

I was really disappointed not to make to make the rally, and am "hell bent" on making it next year.

Good luck with the Nipper and life in general.

All the best,

Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

G-BLMW

Re: LAA Rally 2010. Inverness - Sywell - Trip report.

Postby G-BLMW » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi Paul

Great report, sorry I missed you on the Sunday but the weather was going down hill and a wise decision to leave early.
As you said the rally was a success but not many Nippers around.....shame. Mabye more next year.

Cheers

Stuart

Pat Blenkinsopp

Re: LAA Rally 2010. Inverness - Sywell - Trip report.

Postby Pat Blenkinsopp » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:21 pm

Paul,
fantastic report and pix
. Well done and thanks.
Sorry I did'nt make the Rally. I got aibourne en route for the rally on Sat morning
and ten min into the flight, my main bus fuse blew and I lost all my electrics.
, so had to turn back. The fault when I eventually found it (involved taking all panels off
removing the fuel tank and all that involved) turned out to be a blown shunt that connects
the pos and neg of the radio. This was put in to prevent spikes to the Micro air radio, as they are
known to be intolerant to spikes on start up etc.. Better luck next time. The thing that pissed me of was
the fact I had done a check flight the week end before, just to make sure everything was ok prior to a
longish flight.
Heard you met my mate Paul recently in inverness!
Kind regards,
Pat

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHS”