LAA Rally 2012 - Trip Report.

Please upload your pictures here.
G-NIPR
Site Admin

LAA Rally 2012 - Trip Report.

Postby G-NIPR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Well it really was an eleventh hour decision to go to the rally this year. I had originally booked the time off work, then various issues with the new tip tanks meant that it was looking unlikely I would be able to go. Buoyed up by the other local strut members prepping their aircraft and polishing them up, I got renewed enthusiasm to go myself.
Tip tank problems fixed and NIPR polished I was ready to go too...
The Thursday was the day chosen by most of the other Highland Strut guys to set off, I could have done this also but still had some flight planning to do and also didn't relish the idea of three nights in a tent! The midday TAF also showed a wild front passing the Newcastle area, with strong Northerlies gusting to 36 knots. Despite the temptation of a very high groundspeed and consequent money savings, I opted to pass on leaving Thursday.
So it was then that I arrived at the hangar at 0700 on the Friday morning, ready to pack in my kit and get settled in for the long trip ahead. Fortunately my sleeping bag had already cadged a lift in an RV4, meaning the space behind me would be a little easier to manage.

IMG_4550_800x600.jpg
Ready outside the hangar at Inverness for a long journey ahead.
IMG_4550_800x600.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 14632 times

The weather was on my side with light winds on the surface and a slight headwind componant in the air, but medium level cloud and good viz. No excuses today.
Fully fuelled, she started first swing. Today was going to be a good day...

IMG_45681_762x600.jpg
The office, everything has its place, and nothing is out of reach!
IMG_45681_762x600.jpg (102.78 KiB) Viewed 14742 times

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Re: LAA Rally 2012 - Trip Report.

Postby G-NIPR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Enroute to Eshott.
NIPR and I took off just after 0830 local into the cool clear Highland skies. ATC were surprised to see such an early start for VFR traffic, ahead even of the local flying school. I had planned to climb to 3500 to get a good clearance above most of the local lumps, and give me a few options should anything untoward.
My fuel planning had been to run on the main tank for half an hour, followed by an hour on the tips, and then the remaining part of the flight on the main again.
The advantage of the tip tanks were several, the ability to push on an get more miles under the wings meant I could save significant time during the day. With the best will in the world any fuel stop is an hour, by the time fuel is uplifted, fees paid, tea consumed and then on the way again. The other advantage in these days of austerity is saving on landing fees! I was shocked last year to be charged £15.00 to fuel stop at Glenrothes (home of the Tipsy Nipper restaurant!), and Perth wasn't much cheaper. So my plan of making my first stop to be Eshott was looking like a good one.
The flight South was uneventful. Scottish were their usual helpful selves, and a friendly voice over the quiet airwaves. My chosen altitude enabled me to keep two way comms even in the lee of the hills.
I loosely followed the A9 road in order to avoid the most unforgiving terrain, but occassionally nipped across some lumps to get a short cut. Groundspeed was in the mid to high 70's, slightly less than I had planned.

IMG_4559_800x600.jpg
Following the A9 through the Highlands enroute Eshott.
IMG_4559_800x600.jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 14539 times

The bit I don't like is the crossing of the Firth of Forth. For simplicity I cross between Kirkcaldy and Musselburgh. This gives an overwater crossing of around 10 - 12 NM's, but simplifies things with Edinburgh controlled airspace. It is always a relief when the other side is under the wings.
With Eshott appearing on my moving map I switched back to main tank and quickly reminded myself of the joining instructions and noise abatement.
Light winds were well received at Eshott and I landed smoothly some 2 hours 20 mins after I took off from Inverness. Ready for a hot drink and stretch of the legs.
Eshott airfield supremo 'Storm' returned from a trial lesson ready to fuel me up.
I stood by the Nipper enjoying the sight of two Typhoons carrying out air combat training some 10000 ft above, A nice sight with vapour trails clearly visible, along with the flash of the sun on their twinkling airframes. Lucky Buggers!
All tanks fuelled and ready for the off, I said my goodbyes and prepared for the next and final leg of the journey to Sywell.

IMG_4573_800x600.jpg
Lovely weather at Eshott, first fuel stop. Next stop Sywell.
IMG_4573_800x600.jpg (67.83 KiB) Viewed 14523 times

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Postby G-NIPR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:25 pm

I had booked a 'slot' of 1425 local for NIPR and was hopeful of making it. The guys at Sywell had told me there was a prize if you did so.
Although it looked do'able the GPS said otherwise once I was airborne. Again the winds had been higher than expected when I loaded the flight plan up in SkyDemon in the morning. Groundspeeds of low 80's were expected, but in reality the worst I was seeing was high 60's and mainly mid 70's. Quite a difference even though only a few knots. My ETA was initially 1445, but after a bit of corner cutting and a slightly higher than normal power setting I managed to get it down to 1435. Still not bad from Inverness.
As always the military took several attempts to get my aircraft type right. 'A Dipsy what?'
I stuck to my usual routing of following the coast to the East of Newcastle, staying on the coast until passing Teesside then down towards Newark and Melton Mowbury. I gave Barry Smith a wing waggle as I passed over Yearby. I hope he saw me.

IMG_4579_800x600.jpg
Following the Tyneside coastline.
IMG_4579_800x600.jpg (62.71 KiB) Viewed 14504 times

The skies were uncomfortably busy as I passed the Linton On Ouse area. Being a weekday there was a lot of military traffic as well as numerous civvy VFR aircraft. A Tucano whizzed beneath me, but not by much, leaving me looking the other one. Although this seemed to be a singleton. Then to top it all off two F15 strike eagles decided I needed a closer look. After passing beneath and ahead of me I could see them arch back round. Before, sure enough, one pulled up at around 45 degrees and came up behind me accelerating away. I was relaxed knowing he had so obviously seen me, so was impressed rather than alarmed. I mentioned it to the LARS unit who just replied that there were lots of contacts out there and as I wasn't squawking he didn't know which one was me. Big sky theory saved the day again.

The cloud thickened up as the I approached the Midlands, but still at a medium level and no problem to VFR flight.
Sywell was getting ever closer and I reviewed the AIC joining instructions. Based on the winds I had experienced all day I planned for runway 21 join so read up accordingly.

IMG_4656_800x600.jpg
The Midlands.
IMG_4656_800x600.jpg (57.94 KiB) Viewed 14498 times

Well whadya know they are using runway 03. Doh!
Quick review of the 03 join, and ready for action.

Arriving at the Pitsford Water holding area there was just one aircraft ahead of me, and he was on 2 mile final. Perfect, I didn't need to hold and just joined straight on left base for 03.
I opted for the grass runway, and think it was an ok landing in front of the critical eyes of the spotters.

Just as in previous years the first human life I saw approaching me were the friednly faces of fellow strut members, some wearing kilts.
Glad to be down, and ready for a drink. But with only two stops the journey was soo much easier than previous years. The tip tanks were worth it.

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Postby G-NIPR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:33 pm

After fuelling with the super duper self service machine that makes Sywell such an easy airfield, I taxied to my parking spot so kindly reserved by the kilted warriors.
Tent up, Nipper re-polished, and time for food and drink!

IMG_4594_800x600.jpg
The rally.
IMG_4594_800x600.jpg (77.6 KiB) Viewed 14540 times

IMG_4607_800x600.jpg
One man and his Nipper and his one-man tent.
IMG_4607_800x600.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 14585 times

Over priced burger and bottle of coke, all was well with the world.
There is a certain feeling of satisfaction I get when making a long trip like that, and this trip was no exception.
I was looking forward to meeting other fellow Nipper owners and generally having a jolly old time over the coming day or two.
Now was not the time to fret about the getting home weather.. leave that for Sunday!

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Postby G-NIPR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:43 pm

Well it was a good weekend. I met Willem, who in my minds eye was still a small boy sat in the cockpit in the picture I had seen of him. Not anymore, a fully grown man and useful to any Belgian Rugby squad. Nice to meet you Willem!
I caught up with Stuart and Neil. Always a pleasure. Good craic and good company.
I met 'Rip' for the first time too, and had an interesting conversation about undercarriage bungee mods..
As well as numerous other interested folk, some very knowledgable about our flying machines.

IMG_4645_800x600.jpg
IMG_4645_800x600.jpg (67.38 KiB) Viewed 14506 times

At one point on the Saturday I had a feeling of tiredness and went back to the tent for a lay down. I zipped up and lay back, and found it amusing to listen to the comments as people walked round the aircraft, not knowing that someone was listening just next to their ankles.
There was not one derogatory comment. There was a comment or ten about the undercarriage splay. There was a comment about the engine type. And several complimentary comments about the livery. I was tempted to pop out and correct people when they were wrong, but thought better of it!

IMG_4636_800x600.jpg
Chillin' !
IMG_4636_800x600.jpg (64.4 KiB) Viewed 14507 times

Saturday night's entertainment was the usual Bavarian Stompers, which I think Neil and I enjoyed. As well as several quality real ales.

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Postby G-NIPR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Sunday morning arrived, and I woke early to nip off for a quick shower ahead of the crowds.
The weather looked ok'ish, but a check of the TAF's meant an early departure would be preferred.
I had planned to go to see Paul Grellier at his Winchester airstrip, but despite getting to within 12 mins of it, had to turn back to Sywell due to cloud lowering to almost ground level over high ground near Biscester.
I returned to Sywell for a quick squirt of fuel and then head off to Inverness. My plan was a reverse of the way down, Sywell to Eshott then on to Inverness.
I had been unable to get hold of 'Storm' at Eshott before I left Sywell, so was hoping that he would be there to provide fuel.
Departing Sywell got me ahead of the lowering cloud that I had seen to the South, and I made my way North with very similar groundspeeds to Friday.
Uneventful and pleasant as I made my way North, and I was pleased to hear Nipper G-AVXD on the Humberside frequency. I heard John tell them he was going from Beverley (his home base) to Breighton.
Thats a good idea, I thought I will stop at Breighton for a break and some fuel.
Well that turned out to be the best decision of the day, as I arrived in the middle of the summer fly in, with activity a plenty. I knew it was Breighton as I approached to see Fokker Triplane trailing smoke overhead!
The voice on the RT sounded familiar, and I was delighted to see Kate Howe (she of Bumble Bee Nipper) holding the ground to air radio.
We parked the three Nippers together for an impromptu photo shoot, and had a lovely catch up.

DSC_0157_800x533.jpg
DSC_0157_800x533.jpg (127.25 KiB) Viewed 14540 times

DSC_0158_800x533.jpg
DSC_0158_800x533.jpg (119.18 KiB) Viewed 14783 times

There was so much going on here that I didn't want to leave, but with one eye on the watch and my mind on the journey still ahead of me I got back in the saddle.
John suggested that we both depart together and overfly Breighton before going our seperate ways. We did this, and I hope it looked as good as it felt.
John headed east, and I pointed North- next stop Eshott.

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Postby G-NIPR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:02 pm

I arrived at Eshott after a relatively short 1 hour and 15 min flight. I was pleased to see the other strut members were there with the Piper Cub and Wagabond. That means fuel was still available.
Didn't stop long this time, just enough to fuel up, pay up and leave. Still around two and a half hours to go..
I had considered a stop at Perth or Dundee just to be sure on the fuel level, but time was tight for their opening times, and I did an airborne calculation which said I could carry on to Inverness.
Approaching my dreaded water crossing of the Firth, I was asked if I could reroute to please Edinburgh. I declined based on fuel endurance, and had to stand my ground to a degree on the RT. Always slightly uncomfortable. However my case was that I was going to be outside any controlled airspace and no problem to Edinburgh. but they were lacking confidence due to my lack of transponder. In essence they were trusting me to behave.
In the end I stuck to my route and crossed in my usual way. Edinburgh were in fact very friendly when I got transferred to them.
The headwinds increased as I entered the highlands, and my groudspeed continued to drop away. I also got very noticeable carb ice on this part of the journey, having to remember that it will always run worse before it gets better when you apply the heat.
Finally Inverness came into sight, and I landed in a moderate breeze with a sense of relief and a feeling of a job well done.
Just over ten hours flying during the weekend and a great time was had.
Every year I say never again, but who knows, perhaps I will be writing a report again in 2013.

Thanks for reading.

Paul
G-NIPR.

DesH

Postby DesH » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi Paul,

Very nice to read of your trip and glad your seeing the benefits of the tip tanks!! I now live only 15mins from Scone so if your ever in doubt about getting fuel late give me a shout and I can get you sorted out, all I have to do is buy one of the local FI's a few beers as he has a key for the fuel pump!

Might pop up your way at some point, I'm still very much enjoying the Cassutt and will be stretching its legs a bit more now I've improved the instrumentation slightly!

All the best !

Des

Pat Blenkinsopp

Postby Pat Blenkinsopp » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:46 pm

Paul, great report ,made interesting reading. Well done
I am sorry I was unable to make it this year...I put a spike through
my radio and gps and fried them both. Sad still haven't worked out why
(I think the anti surge capacitor on the voltage reg is suspect???)
G-ASXI is still up for sale for various reasons but no takers as yet. but
no real urgency there.
Glad to here the tip tanks worked out ok.
All the best. keep in touch.
Kind regards,
Pat

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHS”