G-AWJF

Please upload your pictures here.
G-ARBG

G-AWJF

Postby G-ARBG » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:49 am

G-AWJF rolling over Dorset countryside, via David Shrimpton (pilot)photo ALY Aviation.
Attachments
Tipsy G-AWJF rolling.JPG
Tipsy G-AWJF rolling.JPG (110.54 KiB) Viewed 12196 times
Last edited by G-ARBG on Thu May 20, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Neil Spooner

Re: G-AWJF

Postby Neil Spooner » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:51 am

WOW!
What a lovely photo, thanks, needed that........have been getting rather low and depressed at the thought of all the work to do on mine yet.
Interesting to note the distortion of the fabric on the belly due to the twisting force of the rudder, what are the stiffening wires like in the fuselage?
Neil
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:26 pm

Neil, what are stiffening wires, i'm sure i have none in UAD. Shocked
Maybe a later addition on the Mk2/3 ?
A pic of these wires anyone, please Very Happy
Regards
Glen

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi Glen,

You should have diagonal brace wires or rods across the top and bottom of the fuselage. This is a photo of one of Barry Smiths aircraft, he has installed turnbuckles on his, which gives control over the tension, the original ones are just welded/brazed to the fuselage, and can be very slack, leading to the possibility of torsional twist of the fuselage, which is quite evident on the photo by the wrinkling of the fabric under load off of the rudder.

Neil

DSCN3808#001.jpg
DSCN3808#001.jpg (46.71 KiB) Viewed 12135 times
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:50 pm

Hello Glen,
In my experience all Nippers were originally wire braced as in the attached picture. If you aircraft has 'lost' this feature then do as in the previous photograph, it does not even need welded brackets as the same effect can be achieved using 'P' clips and 10cwt cables and turnbuckles.
Havin 'rolled' G-AWJF over dorset for many years I have to say I never noticed any detrimental effect on the wires!

R.

David G-ARBG
Attachments
wire bracing 02.JPG
wire bracing 02.JPG (209.85 KiB) Viewed 12011 times

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:29 pm

Thanks chaps for the pic's, much appreciated.
Have had a few sleepless nights, with the throught that i flew around WITHOUT any trace of these wires in the fuse but in my defence, the only time large rudder movements were needed , was in the stall turn, which i mastered to the tee. David, please can you describe what a P clip is, i might now what it is but call it other name.
Maybe a pic would be nice if possible.

We are thousands of miles apart, yet as close as the key board. This forum becames more and more important daily as the above important issues come to light, thanks guys!!!

Regards
Glen

G-ARBG

Postby G-ARBG » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:54 pm

Glen,

The 'bracing' wires are shown on the Fairey fuselage assembly drawing as 02mm dia. Suggest 'piano' wire is suitable. Are there any witness marks on your longerons showing if the welding was ground off?
I attach photo(s) of method used to replace wires which had snapped on one particular Nipper which because it was covered could not be welded. First hole is to accept small bolt to secure clip, second is for the wire end or turnbuckle attachment. Hope this helps, only a suggestion so maybe your inspector could advise?

David G-ARBG
Attachments
bracing wire end 02.JPG
bracing wire end 02.JPG (117.31 KiB) Viewed 12093 times
bracing wire 02.JPG
bracing wire 02.JPG (81.62 KiB) Viewed 11941 times

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:52 am

Thanks for the great effort with the pic's Dave, much appreciated!!
Yes, i will have to have a good look for the witness marks when i drop the fuse out of the roof rafters later on. It's a bit dark up there now to see properly. Might have to entertain the p-clip idea but will make up my mind when the fuse is stripped. Once again thanks for all the input, guys Very Happy
Regards
Glen

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHS”