Why we do it.

Please upload your pictures here.
G-NIPR
Site Admin

Why we do it.

Postby G-NIPR » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:11 pm

Had a lovely flight today, but very cold. Surface air temp 0 deg. C!
Went for a local bimble around the Highlands, and landed at Dornoch, a small grass strip 20 miles North.
The aircraft flew well in the cold air, and the engine seems to get better as it beds in. It is on 15 hours now.

Paul.
G-NIPR.

IMG_1961.JPG
IMG_1961.JPG (656.25 KiB) Viewed 9940 times

IMG_1971.JPG
IMG_1971.JPG (688.54 KiB) Viewed 9930 times

IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_1965.JPG (690.77 KiB) Viewed 9902 times

IMG_1980.JPG
IMG_1980.JPG (828.23 KiB) Viewed 9911 times

Tipsy Flyer

Re: Why we do it.

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:30 am

0 degree's, my goodness Shocked , looks like you guys are in for a white christmas Very Happy
Thanks for the pic's Paul, just the motivation one needs to work a little harder on the restoration. We are having days on end of overcast, drizzle followed by one day of semi sun and back to overcast. Very unusual for this time of the year, normally sunny with a quick afternoon thunder storm and clear nights. 15 hours allready, i'm green with envy.

Rushing to the workshop, goodbye!
Glen

Pat Blenkinsopp

Postby Pat Blenkinsopp » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:47 pm

Paul,
Green with envy, and I expect to see at least 3.5 G on the meter next time.ASXI is now in its nice light cream base coat colour and waiting for the other detail in Brunswick red ( a sort of lighter burgandy) most other detail work is well advanced and it will just be a question of waiting for the mods to come through (moved battery to behind seat, to help with my fwd C of G problems, Fin rudder mod a la G ONCS (nice drawings Neil) and the addition of an elevator trim tab )
Hope you are enjoying the cool northern air and not getting too much carb icing.
Will try to get some photos of the restoration as soon as my geek son fixes my computor. I cant seem to get the pix out of "my Pictures" Prob forgot to press some button (what a dork !!!!!!)
All the best
Regards,
Pat Smile

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:31 am

Hi Paul,

Great photos.............I go very green when I see the speed you are indicating! Have you calibrated your ASI?

Neil Confused
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Tipsy Flyer

Postby Tipsy Flyer » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:18 pm

Hi Paul,
Like wise, i could only bargain on 84 knots at best. Must have something to do with the drag of the engine hanging out on either side of the fuselage Shocked

Regards
Glen

G-NIPR
Site Admin

Postby G-NIPR » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:17 am

Hello All,
Thanks for the comments. My Nipper has always been quite quick and has gained a little more since the rebuild.
Possibly due to a couple of changes, a rebuilt (slightly tuned) strong engine, removal of the venturi (got rid of turn/slip, using just a slip ball.) A quite light airframe (compared to before). C of G slightly rearward from previously.
I generally fly at cruise RPM of 2950-3000 as the aircraft seems very happy with that. It seems to get it over the top of the drag curve too. A reduction of few hundred RPM makes quite a change to speed, with a much higher nose attitude to maintain level flight. The ASI was checked after stripdown, as was the Altimeter (3mb's out) and checked out fine. I also flew in formation with a Tomahawk last week and had no issues keeping up. So I believe the speed to be genuine. I have also GPS checked it and in the calm air of last weeks high pressure I was seeing over 90 knots groundspeed on all headings.
I would think the Mk2 cowlings with external cyl heads do make a big difference in total drag. Mine is a little cleaner, but Barry Smith thought the carbuncle on top of the upper cowling (for the Stromberg carb) was dreadful for drag, so there could be improvements still.
I didn't buy the Nipper as a speed machine so I won't be persuing further gains, but to be able to maintain a bit of energy between aeros is useful.
Enjoy the festive season.

Paul.
G-NIPR.

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHS”