Hand swinging a Nipper

The primary forum for discussing all things Nipper. Feel free to ask questions.
Bumblebee Girl

Hand swinging a Nipper

Postby Bumblebee Girl » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:28 pm

I’ve recently moved to a new airfield and now have to swing my Nipper myself, although always with the help of someone to pull out the chocks and control the throttle. I always treat the propeller as live and even after 22 years, am very cautious. Too many Nippers have jumped their chocks and run away…
My starting technique seems to work though: 25 blades to blow out, prime, pull through, a little choke, and she usually goes first swing. Chocks in, brakes on, throttle friction nut tight.
Does anyone have any tips on starting, especially when hot?

( Two photos below: how to swing a Nipper and how not to….)
Attachments
33DA0986-5BC6-4D53-A84C-B2C5FCFFB4AE.jpeg
33DA0986-5BC6-4D53-A84C-B2C5FCFFB4AE.jpeg (202.31 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
9A1344B5-8617-43F1-B9D1-208077564582.jpeg
9A1344B5-8617-43F1-B9D1-208077564582.jpeg (404.27 KiB) Viewed 4602 times

JimCrawford

Re: Hand swinging a Nipper

Postby JimCrawford » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:59 pm

Second Photo; chocks are too small.

I wrote a short article in the LAA mag a while ago on a simple 'hold back' device which I've made for my Nipper specifically to make solo hand swinging safer and easier.

1834 VW: prime the fuel pump and carb bowl using the pump hand lever
Operate the throttle from closed to full four times (assumes the carb has an accelerator pump)
Set throttle cracked open
Swing the prop - starts first compression - Leburg electronic ignition.

Jim

Bumblebee Girl

Postby Bumblebee Girl » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:30 am

Thanks Jim: I’d be interested to read your article.

Yes, the chocks are far too small; they came with the aeroplane but I discarded them long ago! I’m also leaning in to the propeller….

No Leburg ignition on JE, but I have a primer which seems to do the trick.

Kate

JimCrawford

Postby JimCrawford » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:56 am

Hi Kate,

I changed from magneto to electronic ignition because the original Lucas tractor mags (SR4?) didn't have an impulse coupling so firing at a fixed advanced ~ 20 before TDC which I wasn't prepared to swing. I understand that it is not advised to add an impulse to this mag as the front bearing isn't capable of handling the overhang sideloads reliably. So I went for the full monty Leburg conversion which fires at ~ 2 - 3 after TDC if it detects the engine isn't running. It then runs an advance/rpm scheme matched to the engine. Starting is much more comfortable.
Also a mag article in preparation, but I'm concentrating on testing the bike hydraulic brakes which I've just finished.

I once had membership of a Chipmunk syndicate which had a knackered battery, only on board for weight and balance I think. The practice was, once solo, you were formally taught to swing the Gipsy Major. Valuable lessons I've been pleased to learn.

Jim

svenolivier

Postby svenolivier » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:23 pm

I swing the prop standing in front of the wing and behind the prop - so i can reach both the throttle and the ignition. I have a second behind the wing with fingers on the ignition should i shout "CUT".
Otherwise i very much follow Ms Bumble Bee's technique. I prime using the electric pump (which otherwise is always off) and only have to slightly crack the throttle.
Hot starting - i find it is very easy to flood when hot - so again only a slight crack of the throttle.
regards
Sven

JimCrawford

Postby JimCrawford » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:22 pm

I'm uncomfortable with the technique of swinging from behind the prop, standing in front of the wing. The leading edge is between the mid back and shoulder height and I believe that, if the aircraft were to lurch forward on starting, then you could be toppled forward into the prop. Having a hand on the switches is going to be too late.

Jim

Chopperman62

Postby Chopperman62 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:24 am

JimCrawford wrote:Hi Kate,
Do you have information and photos of the set up of the brakes that you are fitting?

I changed from magneto to electronic ignition because the original Lucas tractor mags (SR4?) didn't have an impulse coupling so firing at a fixed advanced ~ 20 before TDC which I wasn't prepared to swing. I understand that it is not advised to add an impulse to this mag as the front bearing isn't capable of handling the overhang sideloads reliably. So I went for the full monty Leburg conversion which fires at ~ 2 - 3 after TDC if it detects the engine isn't running. It then runs an advance/rpm scheme matched to the engine. Starting is much more comfortable.
Also a mag article in preparation, but I'm concentrating on testing the bike hydraulic brakes which I've just finished.

I once had membership of a Chipmunk syndicate which had a knackered battery, only on board for weight and balance I think. The practice was, once solo, you were formally taught to swing the Gipsy Major. Valuable lessons I've been pleased to learn.

Jim

Neil Spooner

Postby Neil Spooner » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:55 am

I always swung mine from behind the prop and in front of the leading edge. Much safer.
Concentrate on what you’re doing and don’t be distracted by other people.
The “sucking in” 4 blades after priming and then switching on ignition is just a waste of energy. Prime, set throttle, ignition on. The engine will start once the mixture has reached a “live” cylinder. Sucking in is just another step to distract and potentially confuse the issue.
I installed a hydraulic mountain bike system on G-VICA with an isolation valve to keep pressure in the callipers as a handbrake. Always used chocks also, but once the engine was stable at slow idle moved to behind the wing, removed chocks and climb in.
A little help goes a long way.
Nipper G-BRPM and G-BALS
RV4 G-IKON

Return to “GENERAL CHAT”